Mustang Adoptions

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by chicks for better health, Jul 8, 2008.

1. chicks for better health

chicks for better health Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    West Glenville, NY
    Has anybody adopted a wild mustang? I am becoming more and more interested in adopting a couple, and would like to know more about what to expect.

2. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Expect small, inbred and hardy.

3. tnkinhunting

tnkinhunting Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    East Tennessee
    My nephew adopted one and she was a beautiful sorrel - three stockings with flaxen mane and tail. She was about 14.5 hands - she turned out to be a good riding horse after being professionally trained - my nephew knew nothing about training. She was about two years old. It's a big undertaking but so very worthwhile if you have patience and want a horse.

4. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Don't expect anything show quality. Don't over anticipate.

They are beautiful, hardy animals. They are quite a bit of work, for "obvious" reasons. Every Mustang I have dealt with has been wonderful. They are beautiful in their own way. Hardy, hardy, hardy. They are smaller horses, but great.

I use to ride with people who sold all their Gaited and pedigreed horses, and only kept a few Mustangs. It was all they would ride or keep after that. They loved them and bragged about them all the time.

They are great for the games. At the wagon trains I went to, the Mustangs were among the top to place in the games. Especially the potato race and phone book race, etc. Anything that does well with a small, agile, enduring horse was pretty much dominated by the Mustangs.

I have heard that the stallions are quite tempermental. Which makes sense, since they were born doing whatever they want. LOL. Just have to keep in mind where they come from.

-Kim

5. jkcove08

jkcove08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Iowa
    I think it would be best to adopt a young just weened mustang if you dont have TONS of hours to work with it or dont have a lot of experience. I had a friend that had a mare that she got as a young adult and you couldnt touch it. My hubby and I started working with it but realized that there was more time needed then what we even had. She is a wonderful grey. If you go young you can be there as it grows up and that is the bond that you really need. I realize there are a lot of adult horses that turn out great but you need to know what you are doing and have enough time. JMO Jenn

6. chicks for better health

May 4, 2008
    West Glenville, NY
    Size wise is it safe to expect quarter horse sized animals? I have read alot and there are some herds that produce animals up to 16 hands, I assume this is uncommon.

7. Florida chick

Florida chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2008
    Wolf-Kim Don't expect anything show quality. Don't over anticipate.

Wow I think a lot of you are very misled. I rescue/rehab gentle and train WIld Mustangs. WE LOVE THEM! I can get them free often or $30 a head. Its very sad. AT the moment we have 1 who is 16 h and a gorgeous bay and the other 15h and very VERY fast and is going to be into barrel racing eventually. She is a looker and can easily show once finished. Not all are inbred its not an often occurance. I can't say enough good about them. Their hooves are amazing. Easy keeps, trusting and willing. They are NOT for begginers though! Here are a few of ours. Let me know where your located if your truly interested and have the time and space I may be able to get you what your looking for. Mustangs are not FUGLY horses to be underestimated! I would put my lil black Mustang against any circuit trained Dressage horse, once she is finished.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. chicks for better health

May 4, 2008
    West Glenville, NY
    How do you get them for as little as $30?

How do you manage to have them shipped to you in FL?

9. chicks for better health

May 4, 2008
    West Glenville, NY
    The black horse is absolutely beautiful. They are all amazing!!

10. justduckie

justduckie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2007
    This past weekend at the last endurance ride I rode, we were camped next to a couple of ladies who both had mustangs. The one was small, maybe 14 hands. The other was well above 15 hands. And they were beautiful horses! We were doing LD (limited distance) which was 30 miles each day for three days. Their horses did wonderfully. After talking to them, the one lady had adopted her mare in Oregon as a 4 year old and the other lady adopted her's from the Riverton, WY facility.......which is about 4 hours from where I live......and her gelding had been trained by prisoners from the state pen that had earned their way into the program. They do wonderful things with the horses and they are even more adoptable when they are thru with them.

Check out the BLM website......I bet you can find out lots of info on adoptions.

http://www.wildhorseandburro.blm.gov/adoption.htm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by