Mute or sick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JayRodNU, Mar 13, 2015.

1. JayRodNU

JayRodNU Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2015
    I'm one week into my first four chicks. So far so good. But today my Brahma is doing this weird thing where she stretches her neck upwards and opens her beak like she's going to chirp but nothing comes out. I'm starting to worry. I can't tell if she's struggling to swallow something or having trouble breathing or trying to chirp but mute. No clue. She's a bit lower energy than the rest today too. What should I do? Thanks!

2. Mars13

Mars13 New Egg

Aug 28, 2014
    Hi there,

I am a novice but will try to help. Is she consuming water normally? I really think that us "Newbies" might over-think or over-analyze a bit. I certainly do! I can tell you that I have observed our chicks stretching out their necks at a young age. It sometimes accompanies their stretching a leg and wing to full extent.
    I've also noticed that after dipping their little beaks in water. they extend their necks upwardly.

I wish I had more experience to share, but I wish you the best!

3. JayRodNU

JayRodNU Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2015
    I don't think she's eating or drinking as much today as she has been. After watching her more I'm definitely worried we are going to lose her over night. Here's a video of the behavior. This wasn't even the worst of it. Really looked like she was gagging at one point.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by