"Mutt Chickens"

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Hoover67, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Hoover67

Hoover67 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Huntsville
    Hi,

We are incubating 12 eggs from a friend. The kids are asking whether the two green eggs, should they turn out to be hens, will lay green eggs also. We are so excited! BTW, mom was an EE and the dad was either a leghorn or a RIR.

Michele

2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    It's a mystery [​IMG] Impossible I think to say which genes they got for sure. They may or may not lay green eggs. I have heard that the males pass genes to the daughters and vice versa... but I am not sure if this extends to egg color genes, or even if it is as simple as that [​IMG]

But... there are many nice blue egg breeds available from folks here at the BYC [​IMG] I currently have a bator full of Ameraucanas and Araucanas [​IMG] And hatched some Easter Eggers last time! [​IMG]

Good luck with your hatch! It is so much fun! [​IMG]

AND....

Welcome to the BYC!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  3. Myst4

Myst4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    Quote:If I didn't live in Canada,I'd order some blue eggs from someone on here [​IMG]

4. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Only time will tell! There's really no way of knowing what color their eggs will be until they start laying eggs. My nephew bought a white leghorn from someone and it looks just like a white leghorn, but has to have something else in it somewhere along the lines because it lays brown eggs! So, who knows! It might and it might not. [​IMG]

5. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Quote:We do have some other Canadian members.... Not sure what they have breed-wise...but, you never know [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by