Mutt chicks. Pullets?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by happymorrows, Jan 23, 2011.

1. happymorrows

happymorrows Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Morganton, NC
    My chicks are 5 weeks old now. I am thinking they are both pullets, but wanted other opinions. They are a Barred Rock x Dominique and a EE x Dominique

Chick1 on right. Chick 2 on left
    [​IMG]

Chick 1 on left. Chick 2 on right
    [​IMG]

Chick1 on right. Chick 2 on left.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    My experience has been if they have barred rock in them, you can still sex them the same way as true BRs. If the fronts of their feet are dark, they are girls. If they are mixed with EE and it is the dominant, (having all black feet), then i can't help. I think both those have black fronted feet? Then my guess is girls. Most of my Br/EE mutts are barred with beards, and dark fronted feet.

3. chickiedoo

chickiedoo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2010
    Look like pullets to me but I'm definitely no expert. Theyre awfully cute though [​IMG]

4. MissD'uccle

MissD'uccle Cluck of My Life

Dec 16, 2009
    Elba Twp, MI
    The one on the right in the first and last pics (yellow legs) has awfully thick looking legs. So possibly a roo? I'm not an expert though1 [​IMG]

5. happymorrows

Feb 25, 2009
    Morganton, NC
    The one on the right has all yellow legs. They both feathered out the same time and both have dark coloring. Combs are developing at the same rate.

6. mispollitos

mispollitos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    after the experience I just had, and studying my brains out...(I had 5 chicks w/similar coloring) all roos.... I'll guess the left one is a hen & the right one is a roo ;o) mostly because the legs are so big but not sure of the age difference. Considering that, small comb on the right, maybe it is a hen!! the one w/a dark wash is probably for sure a hen.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  7. happymorrows

Feb 25, 2009
    Morganton, NC
    Here is a picture of them straight on. How accurate is the leg coloration for sexing, because everything else says pullet on chick1. She/he does have a little dark on the legs, but they are mostly yellow and thicker than chick2.

Chick1 on left, Chick2 on right
    [​IMG]

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    chick one is a boy, chick two is a girl. going by leg thickness, color and stance.

9. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Quote:x2. I wasn't sure in the first pic. but they are yellow legs, so that means chick 1 is a boy. He is also lighter coloured in his feathering, typica for BR chicks.

10. axion_lotus

axion_lotus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    Central NC
    I'd agree with donrae. But like the saying goes, sexing chickens is an art, not a science. [​IMG]

This is another trick I read about that might be able to help you. It goes by behavioral differences in males and females rather than most physical sexing methods.

First, get the chicks in question together in a group and let them mill about for a couple of minutes, then, drop a hat on the ground/floor in the middle of them. A pullet will normally shrink down or try to run away, whereas a cockerel will stand up taller and look around. It's his protective male instinct shining through. [​IMG]

Hope this helps; I've never tried it personally, but I hear it does the trick.

(Book Reference: "Chick Days" by Jenna Woginrich)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by