My 1 year old St. Bernard is killing my chickens

Missy020219

Songster
Dec 18, 2019
Buick Creek, British Columbia, Canada
I just recently bought myself a male St. Bernard and he just turned 1. I have 3 other dogs, which did have a chicken killing spree a few years ago, but now have learnt that they are not food. I was hoping that my eldest well mannered dog would teach my new dog how he should be, but I guess she didn’t. He killed 3 of my chickens this last weekend while we were out camping and almost killed one of my ducks this last evening. I now have him penned up and he’s no longer allowed to be on the loose while we are not home. I’ve had him for about half a month and he was showing an interest in my birds, but he never did anything. So I’m looking for some tips and training ideas to do with him. I love having my birds free ranged, but I can’t if he keeps killing them. He has a lot of energy and is very playful.

Keep in mind that poultry and rabbits bring out the prey drive in dogs. With training, some dogs can be made to be trustworthy around chickens, but others cannot. To the dog, chasing and killing chickens is the most fun he can ever have.

Back
Top Bottom