My 10 month old buff orpington started brooding , so I have marked and left some eggs.

peapodbears

In the Brooder
May 6, 2021
We are on day 16 of my brooder sitting on her eggs. I have not seen her leave the nest to eat or drink. I have put food and water by her, but I am not sure if she or my other hens are eating and drinking it. I noticed today that her comb is quite dull and looks like it has shrunk. My Roo has gotten quite protective of her so, I can't really pick her up. This is my first experience with a flock, I have no idea what I am doing. I am afraid I will hurt her if I try to pick her up. What should I do? Should I just leave her alone for the next week and see what happens? I don't even know if the eggs she is on are fertile. HELP!

HooBoy. Best to be checking the eggs and the nest every day to get newly laid eggs from the other birds out from under her.
Can you do it at night after dark when the male will be sleeping?

HooBoy. Best to be checking the eggs and the nest every day to get newly laid eggs from the other birds out from under her.
Can you do it at night after dark when the male will be sleeping?
I can get the eggs checked under before he realizes what I am doing. But I am concerned how dulln comb has gotten and that I am not sure she is eating and drinking.

I believe I read somewhere that their combs will loose it’s vibrant red color when broody because they are no longer laying eggs or some such.

A broody hen will only comb off the nest long enough to eat drink and leave a huge poop. Quick dust bath and back on the nest for the rest of the day.

you may just be missing her one trip first thing in the morning

I believe I read somewhere that their combs will loose it’s vibrant red color when broody because they are no longer laying eggs or some such.

A broody hen will only comb off the nest long enough to eat drink and leave a huge poop. Quick dust bath and back on the nest for the rest of the day.

you may just be missing her one trip first thing in the morning
Thank you. This is just my first go at this. I am not even sure the eggs are fertile. Guess I will find out in a few days! I am enjoying this adventure.

We are on day 16 of my brooder sitting on her eggs. I have not seen her leave the nest to eat or drink. I have put food and water by her, but I am not sure if she or my other hens are eating and drinking it. I noticed today that her comb is quite dull and looks like it has shrunk. My Roo has gotten quite protective of her so, I can't really pick her up. This is my first experience with a flock, I have no idea what I am doing. I am afraid I will hurt her if I try to pick her up. What should I do? Should I just leave her alone for the next week and see what happens? I don't even know if the eggs she is on are fertile. HELP!
My Buff just strated laying eggs and now is broody - has anyone dealt with or knowledge of a wire cage to keep them in to stop this?

My Buff just strated laying eggs and now is broody - has anyone dealt with or knowledge of a wire cage to keep them in to stop this?

has anyone dealt with or knowledge of a wire cage to keep them in to stop this?
My experience goes about like this: After her setting for 3 days and nights in the nest (or as soon as I know they are broody), I put her in a wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller wire(1x2) on the bottom but no bedding, set up on a couple of 4x4's right in the coop or run with feed and water.

After 48 hours I let her out of crate very near roosting time(30-60 mins) if she goes to roost great, if she goes to nest put her back in crate for another 48 hours.

Tho not necessary a chunk of 2x4 for a 'roost' was added to crate floor ,
gives the feet a break from the wire floor and encourages roosting.
1631474421569.png

Back
Top Bottom