My 12 week old Guineas feathers falling out

CindisGuineas

Hatching
10 Years
Oct 10, 2009
Hi everyone. My name is Cindi and I'm new to this group. My husband David and I have a farm in Virginia with our 3 year old son, 2 horses, 3 cats, 3 dogs, and 12 baby guineas that are 12 weeks old. My question is, our guineas have lost a lot of little feathers everywhere. Their heads are bald now. Is this normal? If not what should we do? I've been looking for answers on this topic but so far have found nothing. Maybe someone could guide me in the right direction. Thanks

They do loose the feathers on the head, the other could be a molt to thier adult feathers. But they will loose most/all of the head feathers...

ETA:
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
Thanks for the information. We didn't plan to get the babies so soon because I wanted to read up on the subject a little. But the next thing I knew my husband came home with 12 adorable little guineas. My favorites are the lavender(dar) color. I just wish they were a little more on the friendly side. I do love watching them, they are so funny.

guinea's are seldom referred to as friendly. They are quirky, crazy, curious, gluttonous, noisy, loud, obnoxious, frustrating, dominant, obtuse, and a lot of other things, but seldom referred to as friendly, LOL. That is why I only have about 40 of them.

Some folks have made pets of them, but in my understanding it takes a lot of work and probably some luck as well.

They do lose all the feathers on their heads, if yours were hatched around June or July it is about time for that to happen.

Enjoy

Welcome Cindi! Have fun with your guineas! Some of mine are about that age and some are a few weeks older. My guinea coop is full of random feathers too. Perfectly normal. Friendly they usually aren't but they sure make up for it with their entertainment value, don't they? Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom