My 1st chicks arrived

Quote:
You jinxed me (or they read your post)!
lol.png
They had not been bothering the walls AT ALL I swear until I read your post. Last night they started pecking at it a little & it was just 2 of them. This morning at least 6 are doing it incessantly.

I just got back from buying some chicken wire & another heat lamp to make a large brooder in the unfinished 1/2 of my basement.

Quick question, the 1/2 they will be in has no natural light going to it. Will the heat lamps be sufficient light or should I string a bulb or two on a timer?

Thanks!

I got the new brooder finished last night & put the girls in it. They WERE NOT HAPPY! In fact, I think they would have reacted less vehemently if I was chasing them with an axe! You would think they would like it, they have 6 times more space now… Cowards…

Congratulations. They are beautiful. We got our 1st chicks in July. And they are addictive. I so love my babies. Good Luck

2 more quick questions if ya'll dont mind.

At what age can the chicks start to fly? Since I have moved them to the new brooder they have room to run now & run they do. They also flap their wings & launch themselves into the air. Thus far the best they can do is up about 1ft & forward about 3. I wonder how soon I need to put some sort of roof on the brooder.

2nd question. Is it possible to be allergic to chickens? I am not allergic to anything on Gods green earth (insofar as I know), not even poison ivy or oak. I spent a great deal of time around chickens in my youth & they never bothered me then. I just noticed today that every time I handle the chics immediately after words I dont feel so hot for about 1 hour. Not sick mind you, just a general malaise that rapidly goes away. I cant help but wonder if I have developed a slight allergy to them?

I keep a net (handmade!
tongue.png
another weird hobby) over mine at all times, as they do try and run out sometimes
smile.png
Good luck and welcome
smile.png

They fly a little very early. My brooder was 22" high and they were bumping the ceiling at about 2 1/2 weeks or so. Jumping on the feeder, getting up to the top of the waterer.

Sure, you might be allergic to chick dander or the dust in the brooder. Those little tykes produce abundant dust. It gets everywhere. Just monitor it and be sure it doesn't get bad quickly. The "ill" feeling may be a warning of a worse reaction coming later. You might try wearing a good dust mask and see if the problem goes away (just as a control).

Quote:

Back
Top Bottom