My 1st Goats!! Many Questions

I will say I kept goats for many years and they had a cattle mineral block and they managed to survive. ;)

Read all you can, and figure out what works for you. Different parts of the country have different products and different vitamins and minerals in their soil so hay quality will vary. Finding out what the locals use is always a good thing.

The biggest advice I will give besides not feeding grains to wethers, is to always make all dietary changes slow as goats have sensitive digestive systems. They are easy to kill, especially with rations and grains.

I was thinking the feed would be good for them and that is why it contains the ammonium chloride for the wether.
Should I not give bagged feed at all
just give once a day?
The feed is fine, but watch the grain.....you just don’t want to over do. When I first got my goats I ran around everywhere asking..how much to feed each one...every one said it’s different for each goat...drove me nuts!! But, it k8nd of is. I typically give one Cupish twice a day....but then...down the road I started to mix my own stuff. That’s fun too. Stick to basic for now. A really good mineral sour is the wind storm and rain in the cattle section of TS...it has just about anything they need in it. I was told that blocks can be hard on a goats tongue and teeth...I also give a lot of Timothy hay since or farm is on its fields...but, they need mixed grasses too...just round it out a bit...I know it all costs a ton.....goats are best animals...besides a dog.....they are funny and communication is huge with them!! They are tricky though...I recommend getting a calendar in your barn, for hoove trimming, for shots, for all those things. I also tried to do it on a computer, but wasn’t keeping up with it. Now I use a binder. There are tons of sites that print free spreadsheets for goat info...http://migmogacres.rachelwhetzel.com/?page_id=28. this is one site I used for records...Pinterest has more. I’m reall6 glad you’re getting goats...they are the best...both my does due to kid..Jan 28 and Feb 1...I’m very excited..my first kidding!!

Ok so no grains it is.
@oldhenlikesdogs which loose mineral do you use?
I was looking at the Goat mineral by manna pro at TSC. They also have a product called goat balancer. What’s the difference if any?
No, go with wind storm a nd rain..in the cattle section...its a big red bag....it’s wayyy better...and if your not going to do pellets, you coulD always offer alfalfa pellets...it’s cheap at TS...$14 for 50lb My does are on that now since they due to kid

Last edited:
I will say I kept goats for many years and they had a cattle mineral block and they managed to survive. ;)

Read all you can, and figure out what works for you. Different parts of the country have different products and different vitamins and minerals in their soil so hay quality will vary. Finding out what the locals use is always a good thing.

The biggest advice I will give besides not feeding grains to wethers, is to always make all dietary changes slow as goats have sensitive digestive systems. They are easy to kill, especially with rations and grains.
Oh, plus...they hate change...they will act like it’s the worst thing you could ever do to them, by giving them something different,..they’ll be fine...they ar3 just dramatic!! :)

No, go with wind storm a nd rain..in the cattle section...its a big red bag....it’s wayyy better...and if your not going to do pellets, you coulD always offer alfalfa pellets...it’s cheap at TS...$14 for 50lb My does are on that now since they due to kid
Ok I will give that a go I just saw the red bag online.

Back
Top Bottom