My 1st HUGE EGG

motocrista

Hatching
6 Years
Oct 15, 2013
I took a video and uploaded it to youtube so you can all see my 1st Huge Egg... I have questions below. Thanks!

I have three breeds of Chickens. I have Barred Rock, Black Sex Links and your popular Buff. My Chickens are just for laying eggs. I breed German Shepherd dogs and thought it would be nice to add the healthy egg to their diet. My friend Aimee when to gather the eggs and found this MONSTER EGG!

I do have questions. As I am new to the whole Chicken thing.

I love my Chickens.

Did this hurt my Chicken?

If so, can i prevent this in the future. I don't need to break any records, just want my Chickens to be healthy and happy.

WHAT caused this?

Thanks Guys!

It does look like a double yolker, you can sometimes tell if an egg has a double yolk because it has a faint "waist." And though it is hard to tell from a photo, judging from the way the carton doesn't close I'd say it is probably in the 85-90 gram range. Did you weigh it? Can you? It can be fun to keep track and compare. Store-bought "Jumbo" eggs start at 72 grams (2.5 ounces). Store-bought "large" eggs are supposed to be greater than 57 grams, and store-bought Extra Large eggs are supposed to be greater than 64 grams -- but you can tell by the way your carton doesn't close that your egg is a whopper.

I think it probably isn't the most comfortable thing for a hen to lay an extra large egg, but it is "normal." I think hens just starting to lay or coming back from a rest will lay more likely lay oddly sized eggs. Double yolk eggs are a "mistake," but they don't harm the hen.

Congrats! It looks like you have a double yolker the hen should be fine as long as there is no blood and the hen is acting fine (if your worried check out the vent). Double yolks happen mostly when new hens start to lay as their egg producting cycle is just starting out and is trying to work out all the kinks. The yolks get stuck together or the hen ovulates to fast, well some chickens are just genetically prone to laying double yolkers. My Girlies just started laying a little while ago and I have had a few double yolkers sense then, even my first egg was a double yolker. The only way to completely know if it is a double is to crack it open, good luck!
big_smile.png

Thanks guys! I will crack it open and find out. I don't have a way to weigh it. Maybe I will crack it open tomorrow after I bring it to work to weight it. They have a little oz. scale there.

I am just glad my Hen will be ok. Gave me a quick fright, this big egg did!

It does look like it has a waist! Now that you say that. A little indent in the egg around the middle. Neat!

Thanks guys! I will crack it open and find out. I don't have a way to weigh it. Maybe I will crack it open tomorrow after I bring it to work to weight it. They have a little oz. scale there.

I am just glad my Hen will be ok. Gave me a quick fright, this big egg did!

A person could have some fun weighing eggs. Or is that just me?
hide.gif
I have a lot of chickens, and for a while there I was weighing every single egg ... until I got to the point that I could pretty well guess an eggs weight by picking it up. You can't always tell by size as sometimes the shells are super dense, sometimes not.

I have a scale like this, and use it all the time (not just for eggs): http://www.amazon.com/Kitrics-Digit...=Digital+nutrition+scale+with+nutrition+facts

For weighing an egg on the scale, I use one of these: http://www.amazon.com/OXO-3105000-S...053&sr=8-1&keywords=double+sided+shot+measure

It has a bigger side for the bigger eggs.
cool.png

But they have some egg scales that look like this (
thumbsup.gif
): http://www.amazon.com/Kuhl-JIFFY-II...UTF8&qid=1384271682&sr=8-2&keywords=egg+scale

The cute ones aren't much help with the whopper eggs, but ...
yippiechickie.gif

On a budget: http://www.amazon.com/Weigh-Masters...271804&sr=8-4&keywords=accurate+kitchen+scale

We have recently gathered eggs and although this is an old forum, had to share a pic of this!

The best we can tell it is easily double the regular size of the eggs we get...

Back
Top Bottom