My 1st timer broody keeps turning her eggs upside down

joneus

Songster
8 Years
Apr 2, 2011
Ballston Spa
My EE, Matilda, is on day 4 of sitting on 14 bantam eggs. They were shipped, so I'm fully expecting a few duds when I check them this weekend. But, every time I see her off the nest, I notice several eggs turned pointy side up! So I flip them around... and she promptly rearranges them when she goes back to the nest- pointy side up!
barnie.gif

I'm hoping that taking some of the eggs out will fix this problem, but if it doesnt- ??? Should I give her a bigger nest box?

I figured that her litter box lined with shredded paper would be big enough for her and her tiny little eggs. As it is, even fully flattened out in the broody-pancake posture, she's only taking up about half of the box. OTOH- her little "penthouse" (large dog crate with a blanket covering 3 sides) is on my enclosed front porch. Its protected from the elements, but it still gets cold out there (right now its about 35 degrees). I dont want to take away her box and its added bit of protection from the cold floor (pine shavings over plywood on the bottom of the crate).

Quote:
Its so haaaarrrrrrrddddddd not to!!!!!! LOL! She's always been one of my favorites (I find her diva-like behavior very endearing, LOL!). The only reason I'm letting her hatch anything at all this time of year is because she was so darned stubbornly broody that I worried about her freezing to death in the nest box. The temperature rarely gets below freezing out there on the porch, so at least I know she'll be okay out there!

Haha anything a broody does with her eggs........just leave them be.Don't Worry Hens are always the best egg shippers, incubators and the best brooders. Nobody knowes why man made stuff can't mach the hatch rate of a hens, but whatever they do with their eggs, it just works
hu.gif
and thats just the way it is. Good luck
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom