My 2 months old duckling won't stop screaming and having problem in walking

Hello.
I have a duckling (about 2 months old). I think it's female (don't know the gender for sure). A few days back her left leg starting to have a problem and she can't walk properly or put her weight on left leg. She is having this problem for 15 days now. Today morning she started screaming for no reason (she don't do that typically) and settled down after about half an hour but I am still worried about her. There is no vet near my house here so I can't take her to them. Anyone please help me in this matter.
PS, I have 2 ducks. The other one is active
I feed them bread, spinach and other green leaves, millet and other grains.
ccan you please suggest any natural and easily accessible source of niacin? like any vegetable or anything?

The problems you're seeing are likely are due to her diet; ducks in the wild eat a wide range of foods, mostly vegetative matter, and grains. It is hard to naturally replicate that diet due to the wide range of foods they eat, but also since the domestic ducks we are breeding now, grow at different rates, and often require more of certain vitamins.

To make the process easier, it would be best to get your hands on a feed for poultry and start offering that. If you live near a pharmacy or a grocery store you should be able to pick up some 500mg niacin capsules and start offering that as well. Nutritional yeast may help as well.

c

can you please suggest any natural and easily accessible source of niacin? like any vegetable or anything?

Niacin is also known as B3. Many B vitamins are not readily provided by plant based sources. Most people feed waterfowl feed that has niacin added, or they add niacin to the water with niacin pills (available at drugstores as a vitamin). Another common method of providing Niacin to poultry is to add brewers yeast to their food, at a ratio of 2-3 cups yeast / 10 pounds of food. If you have access to gamebird feed (for turkeys or quail) that might provide enough niacin.

Obviously people have been raising ducks for thousands of years without commercial feed and synthetic vitamins. Wild ducks are also more than capable of raising themselves. I believe this is done through increasing the insect/animal portion of a duckling's diet. In the past as well as in the wild this is achieved by natural foraging. I think that with a worm farm or a black soldier fly farm you could raise ducklings without supplemental niacin, but I haven't looked into it too much. I am sure that with a mother duck's guidance and a safe, healthy pond, ducklings could satisfy their niacin requirements with larvae, tadpoles, snails, and other small animals.

I am sorry that I don't have a simple answer like "more tomatoes." If you are unable to use commercial feed and have no access to brewers yeast or niacin in the form of a vitamin pill, then I would try to incorporate animals into the ducklings' diet. Bugs would be best, but also cooked eggs, and maybe milk.

Niacin is also known as B3. Many B vitamins are not readily provided by plant based sources. Most people feed waterfowl feed that has niacin added, or they add niacin to the water with niacin pills (available at drugstores as a vitamin). Another common method of providing Niacin to poultry is to add brewers yeast to their food, at a ratio of 2-3 cups yeast / 10 pounds of food. If you have access to gamebird feed (for turkeys or quail) that might provide enough niacin.

Obviously people have been raising ducks for thousands of years without commercial feed and synthetic vitamins. Wild ducks are also more than capable of raising themselves. I believe this is done through increasing the insect/animal portion of a duckling's diet. In the past as well as in the wild this is achieved by natural foraging. I think that with a worm farm or a black soldier fly farm you could raise ducklings without supplemental niacin, but I haven't looked into it too much. I am sure that with a mother duck's guidance and a safe, healthy pond, ducklings could satisfy their niacin requirements with larvae, tadpoles, snails, and other small animals.

I am sorry that I don't have a simple answer like "more tomatoes." If you are unable to use commercial feed and have no access to brewers yeast or niacin in the form of a vitamin pill, then I would try to incorporate animals into the ducklings' diet. Bugs would be best, but also cooked eggs, and maybe milk.
Thanks for the detailed answer. I bought a vitamin B complex syrup yesterday for the duck and now giving it to her 2 times a day, should I increase or decrease the dosage? Also I've ordered flock feed online, it contains vitamin B so I hope it is beneficial for her.

Thanks for the detailed answer. I bought a vitamin B complex syrup yesterday for the duck and now giving it to her 2 times a day, should I increase or decrease the dosage? Also I've ordered flock feed online, it contains vitamin B so I hope it is beneficial for her.

How much niacin does the syrup contain per ML?

Back
Top Bottom