My 2 months old duckling won't stop screaming and having problem in walking

asadullah

Hatching
Jan 10, 2021
Hello.
I have a duckling (about 2 months old). I think it's female (don't know the gender for sure). A few days back her left leg starting to have a problem and she can't walk properly or put her weight on left leg. She is having this problem for 15 days now. Today morning she started screaming for no reason (she don't do that typically) and settled down after about half an hour but I am still worried about her. There is no vet near my house here so I can't take her to them. Anyone please help me in this matter.
PS, I have 2 ducks. The other one is active

What do you feed them? Also it would be helpful to see pictures of the foot and video of her trying to walk on it.

Last edited:
It could be a niacin deficiency. Ducks need niacin and it is very important for them to be fed a diet containing it. Any duck feed or all flock feed should work. I'm not experienced in treating it but @Isaac 0 might be able to help. Definitely switch to a duck or all flock feed asap.

you're trying to do a very simple "natural" diet but I don't think you are giving the ducks the nutrition they need. Growing ducks need 20% protein as well as sufficient niacin. In the wild they would get this from bugs. If you are unable to switch to a commercial feed then you should feed them cooked eggs (no shells) for protein and supplement with yeast for niacin.

Ah! yes I read an article similar to this one and was giving the duck Multivitamins syrup. It contains nicotinamide (as far as I've searched nicotinamide is another name for niacin). I've been giving it to the duck for 4-5 days now. Her condition is pretty much same if not worsen. I was not sure if I am giving her the right treatment but now after reading this article I am pretty much confident that she has niacin deficiency. So I guess I have to focus on this area now

c
you're trying to do a very simple "natural" diet but I don't think you are giving the ducks the nutrition they need. Growing ducks need 20% protein as well as sufficient niacin. In the wild they would get this from bugs. If you are unable to switch to a commercial feed then you should feed them cooked eggs (no shells) for protein and supplement with yeast for niacin.
can you please suggest any natural and easily accessible source of niacin? like any vegetable or anything?

Your ducks aren't eating a proper diet, you need to get them on all flock/duck feed, which you should be able to find at a feed store or online. Bread is very bad for them and has no nutrition. A lack of niacin could be causing the leg problems. Can you post a video of her walking?

Back
Top Bottom