Duck not walking all the sudden?

Dirtybird211

In the Brooder
Apr 3, 2023
So this morning all my 9 khaki campbells seemed to be fine but next time I saw them about 3 hours later one of them can hardly walk. She doesn't seem to be egg bound as far as I can tell. She seems to be keeping her legs kicked back and can't put them flat really. What should I do or check next? Attached is a video for reference.

I already gave her a warm bath and massage for a while and that seemed to help a little but not to much. I'll update how she is later.

Also she is about 10 months old.

Thank you for any help!

Last edited:
What's her diet?
She is free range so she works the yard a lot for bugs and plants. Otherwise she get all flock pellets, crushed corn, and the fresh veggies this week were Brussel sprouts and green peppers. Also crushed egg shells for calcium.

there’s a good chance she might be egg bound. Why do you think she isn’t? It wouldn’t hurt her to go ahead and treat her for egg bound in order to rule it out anyway, the warm soak in the tub is a great idea. Also give her extra calcium in the form of liquid calcium gluconate which you can get online or at tractor supply it says injectable for cattle but it’s safe to give orally to ducks we give one ML by syringe for a few days have you ever given oral medication‘s to ducks yet? If not, you need to read the article in the learning center called how to give medication‘s to all poultry and waterfowl it’s important to learn how to do it correctly, so we do not aspirate them I would give you a link, but I’m on my cell phone out in the yard, which doesn’t work well for copying pasting, which does not work well for copy and paste links on here. There is also calcium citrate with D3 tablets made for humans, but can give to ducks and chickens last resort give her a Tums.

there’s a good chance she might be egg bound. Why do you think she isn’t? It wouldn’t hurt her to go ahead and treat her for egg bound in order to rule it out anyway, the warm soak in the tub is a great idea. Also give her extra calcium in the form of liquid calcium gluconate which you can get online or at tractor supply it says injectable for cattle but it’s safe to give orally to ducks we give one ML by syringe for a few days have you ever given oral medication‘s to ducks yet? If not, you need to read the article in the learning center called how to give medication‘s to all poultry and waterfowl it’s important to learn how to do it correctly, so we do not aspirate them I would give you a link, but I’m on my cell phone out in the yard, which doesn’t work well for copying pasting, which does not work well for copy and paste links on here. There is also calcium citrate with D3 tablets made for humans, but can give to ducks and chickens last resort give her a Tums.
So my only reason I don't think she is egg bound is from feeling her in the bath and trying to take a look if I saw "one in the chamber". But there was nothing obvious to be seen or felt. But I could definitely be wrong and am no expert on the matter.

Back
Top Bottom