My 2 salmon favorelles chicks look vastly different

khalida

Songster
Mar 14, 2022
Cape Girardeau, MO
My little salmon favorelles (now 5 days old) we're supposed to be both pullets and now I'm worried one might be a cockrel(or possibly not developing) because she isn't growing her wing feathers, at all, just looks like a bigger version of the day I got her... Is it possible? I'm not allowed to have roos and I'd like to have an idea if she's a roo or not so I can look for a home rather than have to euthanize him if that's the case... the more time the better as I live in a city that doesn't allow cockrels, I can look on local backyard chicken groups on Facebook and hopefully find a home. I know it's difficult to re-home a roo... Which is why I want to start ASAP 😂

First picture is her up against the other SF and its a big difference

The first day I got her she was charging at my hand and being very fiesty, So 🤷

I know this isn't a consistent way to sex at this young of age, but maybe someone who has more experience could shed a light, mostly I'm worried she might be sick, although she is looking bright and happy, i added a picture of one of my other chicks, these are about where everyone else's feathers are in growth comparatively

Snapchat-2144254470.jpg
Snapchat-314511782.jpg
Snapchat-380785684.jpg

Attachments

• Snapchat-2033333737.jpg
    Snapchat-2033333737.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 4
I guess my main concern is if she is okay, because of the developmental differences and I Assumed were hatched the same day or close to the same day.
That's hard to say. I have had chicks fall behind their batch mates. Some catch up, some stay smaller, and some fail to thrive due to some internal issues. As long as it's eating, and drinking, and generally running about I wouldn't worry too much.

That's hard to say. I have had chicks fall behind their batch mates. Some catch up, some stay smaller, and some fail to thrive due to some internal issues. As long as it's eating, and drinking, and generally running about I wouldn't worry too much.
Thank you, I'll try not to worry to much, everyone is happy and thriving and honestly, that one is the sassiest of the bunch so 🤷 who knows!

Glad to hear that running behind hatchmates can be normal

Back
Top Bottom