my 2weeks old chicks got attacked

If you have chickens, you have chicken feed. If you have chicken feed your most likely have or will have mice and/or rats. I think it is a good idea to keep a live trap set. I have caught rats, opossum, squirrels, and doves baiting with black sunflower seeds. To target rats, peanut butter works well. Some I released, some I took 7 miles (10 kilometers) from the house and released them, and with some I tied a rope to the live trap, submerged it in a pond for 15 minutes while digging a hole, then buried the animal. You can probably guess what got released and what got buried. I like to use a live trap so I have the option to release unharmed what is caught. I got my live trap from Ace Hardware. I'd think a hardware or feed store might have one in Australia.

I agree with SussesinSeattle. What ever it was, rat, weasel or whatever,once it has found a food sourse, it will probably be back.

Best of luck with the chicks and with your own baby.

Quote:
im from QLD too....in the sticks just past ippi...i didnt see what it was but i know it was smaller then a cat cuz a cat could not physically get it where we had it...and it was bigger then a mouse cuz it made abit of noise when leaving the pen...but not enough noise to be a cat either...no it wouldnt be a snake cuz like u said...there would be no chick....it was opened up and the other 1 was missing a chunk of skin....it wasnt any bird cuz it ran away...soo the only alternative is a rat really...there are no signs of a rat and we havent seen anything hanging around looking for 2nd's either....the other chicks are still young but old enough to be 80% feathers...soo thats the reason we thot id be ok...the other 2 sleep under the 3 big ones...unfortunately i cant get my chick back and ill just have to go on and learn from this *sniff*...i want to get 1 small chick so this 1 isnt alone...but itd have to be about 3 weeks old which is how old this one is now...so atleast its not the odd one out...but then im due to have a baby in 2 weeks and im going to be pretty busy...do u think itll make things easier if i get just the 1 little chick for this 1 to have company?

SussexInSeattle- sorry u didnt know what a mozzie was...aussie slang...
lol.png
but at least u know now right
wink.png
...sorry bout that!

Wow we are not far apart then. I am at Esk and have relatives at Peak crossing and a nana at ippy. Something to keep an eye out for too at the moment is Goannas too. Had turkeys eggs vanishing lately and finally busted a goanna taking the eggs. I would get another chick for your little guy or girl. Good luck hope you find what ever it was that was getting into your pens.

Last edited:
weve had a fair few flies but not as many as usual....and mozzies! my poor daughter is a mozzie attractant!

Back
Top Bottom