my 3 year old's favorite pet, Buttercup, is lethargic, droopy, with puffed up feathers, won't eat

We have 2 chickens that are both a year and a half old. They usually range all over our city backyard during the day. We were camping for four days so the chickens were cooped up. They pace back and forth when they stay in their coop all day. They had plenty of food and water when we returned home today and let them out. I noticed our road runner like Sicilian Buttercup staring at the back fence and standing still, unusual for her. She is not interested in eating. She looks puffed up, like she is keeping her feathers out a little. And she has not moved from a spot under the apple tree in several hours now. No coughs, sneezes, her vent seems fine (pink). Her bright red comb has a few brownish spots at the crown, sort of like a few crusty dots. Her poop has mucus. She is drinking.
Our daughter would be so upset if something happened to Buttercup...any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Is this possibly fowl pox?

Not good. I don't know what to do! It is like she will go into mini seizures. Her breathing is very slow. What do I do? I'm lost here....

I really do feel for you and my eyes are welling up as I type, but it really does sound like she is dying. The mini seizures are all part of the process. Just keep her warm and maybe having her with you will help. Take care of yourself.

-Kathy

Disclaimer: I am not a vet, I'm just someone that has "rescued" far too many sick birds from the feed store and have seen more than my share of death.

Last edited:
If it is was dawg says, and it hasn't progressed to where her organs are shutting down, I think your only option would be to find her a different vet. I will also say that when I took my duck that had a severe bumble foot infection, the vet recommended euthanasia, but I took it home and learned a hard lesson about bumble foot and what can happen. He died a week later.

Last edited:
This is horrible. I feel horrible. How can I prevent this from happening to my other girls? What are some of the signs? Mawmaw never limped or gave any sign. She is blind and stayed in a pen all to herself with a nonstop supply of food and water.
Bumble foot is a staff infection from stepping on something sharp, a splinter, a twig...and then being exposed to the staph bacteria. Look under the "Learning Center" tab and search Bumble foot surgery. The instructions are very detailed and clear, and the pictures are very helpful. This is exactly what I did with my Violet. She had bumbles in both feet. My DD and I did several surgeries on her over the course of about about eight weeks. Violet was a little under the weather for a few weeks and stopped laying for about one week, but is now quite recovered. The surgery is not for the squeamish or feint of heart...DD and I each had to sit with our heads between our knees the first time...but it did eventually work itself out. Do take a look at the "how-to." See if it looks do-able. Best of luck. We'll think good thoughts for you.

mm

Thanks for the concern about Buttercup...she sat in one spot all afternoon yesterday, resting. Around dusk she wandered around the yard and drank a lot of water. She had just pooped some watery stuff. We put a light in her coop last night to help her stay warm and prayed for her. Today, she was back to her usual self, eating treats, chasing the other chicken away from the treats, not puffed up, walking around. We're still not sure what she had...

Thanks for the concern about Buttercup...she sat in one spot all afternoon yesterday, resting.  Around dusk she wandered around the yard and drank a lot of water.  She had just pooped some watery stuff.  We put a light in her coop last night to help her stay warm and prayed for her. Today, she was back to her usual self, eating treats, chasing the other chicken away from the treats, not puffed up, walking around.  We're still not sure what she had...

It'd be my guess that she may have been egg bound... Is she laying?

Thank you all for your concern and advice. My Mawmaw passed away this evening. It sucks. I thought I would share a photo of her...back in her sillier days. She was blind when we brought her home. We had heard about the rose colored glasses people used to put on their chickens a long time ago...I only had blue doll glasses :) She was such a good sport! She also liked to sit on our feet...ya know, use them as her perch :) I will forever miss my Mawmaw.

Back
Top Bottom