My 32 week old hen who started laying eggs 4 weeks ago had gone completely broody!!!

chickencrazylady

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 29, 2011
Goldie-locks has gone completely broody on me since yesterday morning, I have to put on heavy leather gloves to get her to move out of the nesting box, and then she is just sitting on hay. She has moved into the main laying box for most of my girls and I think this is created a problems with the other girls. I have been going into the coop every couple of hours and moving Goldie off the nest and shooing her into the run, complaining to my Silkie-boy about her treatment by me, this morning had to do it again and Goldie went out screaming and Silkie came into the coop looking for a fight and ****** to the hilt at me for my treatment of his woman!!

Question: Do I keep kicking Goldie off the nest to keep her from being Broody? Winter is really started here now in Northern Alberta, Canada and I don't want any chicks to raise yet!!

Is it a silkie? I've heard they're incredibly broody. There's likely not much you can do except take the eggs away. Chicks don't hatch if momma isn't sitting on fertile eggs.

Is it a silkie? I've heard they're incredibly broody. There's likely not much you can do except take the eggs away. Chicks don't hatch if momma isn't sitting on fertile eggs.

Not a silkie, just a mutt hen I guess. But I got her and her friends from a g/f and I had Goldie's mom last spring for a couple of months before my dogs got to her, I know that Goldie's mom Henny Penny was a nest and egg stealer and very broody, I guess it might have been passed to Goldie!!!

Could you just give her some wooden eggs? I would probably just do that if I didn't think she could raise her own chicks. Is there a reason you don't want her to raise her own chicks? She's probably do a great job at it.

Could you just give her some wooden eggs? I would probably just do that if I didn't think she could raise her own chicks. Is there a reason you don't want her to raise her own chicks? She's probably do a great job at it.

I momentarily thought about letting Goldie sit on eggs, but it's the middle of winter up here, and I don't want to worry about chicks in early March, so I have been removing her off the nest many times a day and it seems to have done the trick, but I will be keeping an eye on her incase she starts again.

Back
Top Bottom