My 4 1/2 week old NHRED has laid 2 thin shell fart eggs in a row!

I have to say, the headline of 4 1/2 week old laying eggs got me into this thread, I had to smile when I tried to imagine it! Poor bird!

The laying farms would love to get their hands on that!
lol.png

I believe a young hen will go through many strange egg configurations before she settles down.

We got the occassional shell-less egg from an older flock when I was a kid, even though they had oyster shell and layer feed. Birds just do funny things.

Quote:
You can go back to your first post and edit the title. Of course it will garner more attention left as is.

I heard the eggs in question referred to as 'end of lay' or 'first' eggs. They are quite common.

I wanted to add that often they are all yolk or all white. I've had them from my call ducks, also.
My kids think they are adorable.

Last edited:
I found one the other day that wasn't even quite a full little egg. It was like the egg white, the thin slick stuff then a layer of "rubber like" shell that was attached to a tube where it came out the vent? VERY WIERD.

I think another of my hens had one stuck in her vent today. I pulled it out. I might need to put her on oyster shells. She has been fine laying an egg a day, but I think this egg was rotting. I pulled the little thing out and it had busted or something in her, cause it was disqusting. Do you think I need to put her on some medicine tonight and tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom