My 4 week old chick has bad aim?

Farmgirl283420

Crowing
Feb 21, 2023
So I got two week old chicks two weeks ago from I kind Lady that took my rooster she hatched them herself two are calico Cochins and are fine the other is a frizzle Cochin she eats fine but when I take them out and sprinkle oats in the tarp or on my hand she can't eat them she always misses is something wrong? If they're piled in my hand she can eat them and she acts just fine apart from sometimes crying she's really sweet what's going on?!

So I got two week old chicks two weeks ago from I kind Lady that took my rooster she hatched them herself two are calico Cochins and are fine the other is a frizzle Cochin she eats fine but when I take them out and sprinkle oats in the tarp or on my hand she can't eat them she always misses is something wrong? If they're piled in my hand she can eat them and she acts just fine apart from sometimes crying she's really sweet what's going on?!
I’m not a chick expert, but if she seems completely healthy otherwise, I wouldn't worry much. What I have noticed with mine is that some have far better eyesight than others. I have some chickens that are in bed by 4:00pm, and one in particular that is still out wandering around by herself at 6:30 PM! Perhaps you could test her vision by putting her in various degrees of darkness with the others? Or a different color food on different color cloth. This is just a thought, I have no science behind it at all, lol!

My friend had a d'uccle rooster like that, was like that from a chick too. Always pecked next to the food. He lived a long life and seemed perfectly healthy, he just took quite a few extra pecks to get his fill. Just keep an eye on her weight and make sure she always has a bowl to peck from so even if she misses her target she still gets a bite of something else

What I have noticed with mine is that some have far better eyesight than others.

^ This. Totally this. ^
From different batches of chicks, lots of different breeds, I almost always have some that can't see things equally.
Some stay agile, bouncing about when it's very nearly dark. Others hunker down when the first shadows start to fall.
Most are easy to pick up off the roost in the dark, but some can track your hand movements and even hop down without any more than moonlight.

*It's most often roos that have the best ability in the dark, whether completely due to sight or also due to increased confidence despite a diminished sense, I'm not sure.

Back
Top Bottom