my 4 week old chick has something wrong with her eye! *update*

obe10

Songster
10 Years
Jul 14, 2009
Irmo, South Carolina
today i noticed that my 4 week old golden campine chick has something going on with her eye. is it possible that one of her buddies pecked her eye? we have one roo in with the 6 hens (all the same age) her other eye looks fine. what do you think? here is the picture.
36766_pics_211.jpg

Last edited:
no it is not a defect it was not there yesterday. i spend a lot of time with them and hold them every day. i'm worried about her do you think she will be alright?

Well, with mine, it happened overnight; I spend lots of time with mine, and this was a hatch that I raised in the house through winter (boy, I hope I don't decide to to THAT again).

If it's caused from trauma, you can put some Terramycin eye ointment (it's a gel, you can get it at your local farm supply store). She should be just fine!

Well, if it's specifically opthalmic, I think it would be fine, but I'm not completely sure. Do you see any lesions/cuts around the eye itself? Would be great if you could figure out what happened. That could help you decide the best course of action.

no cuts or anything but it seems to be slightly swollen. the chick acts fine otherwise. also tobramycin ophthalmic solution is an eye drop so i guess it would work.

Last edited:
Well, I'd try it, then. Since it ends in "mycin" just like Terramycin does, it is surely from the same family. Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom