My 4 yr old got attacked by my roo- any advice for prevention?

sorry to hear your having problems. My first rooster, Brutus, attacked everyone but me for the first year so I just told everyone to leave him alone and I did the chores. So essentially, the rest of the family missed out on alot. So I put him down.

My second rooster, Fabio, has been great with everyone (other than the hens backs I guess). You can pet him but he isn't as lovable as the hens are.

My vote, remove your roo.

Quote:
Yeah - kinda bummed that I have to get rid of him..but I definitely wouldn't want him to attack again or get worse. For the time being she won't be in the hen house ( or run) unless I am holding him or something. She loves looking in there for new eggs.

Last edited:
Your rooster is not necessarily a bad one, he may be fine for someone else that could work with him.

The point that the previous posters are making is that NO roo is safe around small children. You should get rid of ALL the roosters now, so your kids don't get more attached to them (been there--it's best in one fell swoop). Unless you want to pen up a rooster separately, with his own hens, in a pen they never go in, it's too dangerous for ANY roo to be around small kids.

I would definitly keep all small children away from him now that he has done the forbidden (flogged) but I would not get rid of him as after all he was doing what he was bred to do and no rooster is perdictable!

no kid should be in with a roo by themselves ever... ever,,,, the roo was just doing his job,, i bet something happened to make him think that the child was going to hurt his girls.
you can teach the roo that when you and the kids go into the coop,, that he HAS to get away,,, ive shown alot of pics of my bad boy when the girls come into the pen,, he RUNS to the opposite corner, and stays there till the kids leave,, but he does this cause he KNOWS that if he even walks toward them, that i will pick him up and be VERY rough with him,,,,, he is not scared of the kids,, just me,,,,,, i have over 15 roo's,, my kids arent allowed near 2 of them ( their new and need some work
wink.png
) i think having a roo like that teaches the children WAY more then if he was a sweety,,, they learn to respect,, learn to "read" the bird,, and learn by watching the grown-ups, that just cause a roo flogs ya,, doesnt mean its time to start over,, just means they need to teach it some manners....

Sunny Side Up... "long soak in a simmering broth".. I have laughed my tail feather off.... You made MY DAY>>> that is the best one IVe heard this whole year maybe more... thanks.......

Look at it this way: You would never allow a small child in the pen with a bull or a stallion. A rooster is just in a smaller package. And he's exactly the right height to take out a child's eyes.
I have a theory that a rooster should know that his caretaker who brings food and water is not a predator. If he attacks the hand that feeds him, he's not terribly bright. I have four roosters who are completely non-aggressive, even friendly and sweet, however, I would not trust a child around any of them, just to be safe. Its just not worth the risk.

i get new roo's almost every week or so,, they are put in "our" yard when their being quarantined tethered right next to "us" and the kids,,, it gets them used to all us, the kids, and commotion,,, and even the roos that i dont think would EVER be aggressive towards the kids,, are held by me when the kids want to pet them and visit,, i have a 4 and 6 year old,, and almost sure you couldnt get them near a roo without me holding it,,,and no, its not because they are scared of it,, cause their not, in fact they have NEVER been attacked by a roo,, but they KNOW that there is potential for it to, and they respect it,,,,,, and like i said before,, you CAN teach a roo to "stay away" from the kids,, and you CAN teach the kids to stay away from him.

I hope your daughter is ok. That had to be scary for her. My thoughts...either get a silkie roo or a cochin roo (neither can jump that high to attack anything
wink.png
) We LOVE our big cochin roo but we do have to put him up on the roost every night or he ends up sleeping in the nest boxes because they are low enough for him to get up into. No but seriously...prob a silkie roo would be best for your young daughter. My Serama roo would mate with the big hens so I'm sure a silkie roo would have no prob.

Back
Top Bottom