My 4th week on Bumblefoot with my Rouen ***graphic pics***

Baylor

Chirping
8 Years
Nov 25, 2011
So about 4 weeks ago I noticed my female Rouen was no longer applying weight to her right foot. She was hobbling - I picked her up and noticed her foot was very swollen and the bottom main pad was very large and black - clear signs of bumble foot correct? We brought her inside the house to the tub and put down many towels to easy her footing with food and water. This would be the last egg she has laid to date
sad.png
So my husband reluctantly agreed to proceed with surgery after studying up and watching videos. So we cut off the bottom black part and dug until we pulled out some very hard white items - it sure seemed like the video except we never got any softer infection to squeeze out after that. Bandaged her up with anitbiotics in her water and on her foot. I let her swim each day, soak in epsom salts and clean it well and then bandage back up. In the meantime I am patiently waiting the arrival of the tricide neo to soak. So for the next week we just soak everyday after cutting open twice on the bottom when stuff came to surface. So after a week of above pattern adding the tricide neo soak for 7 mins daily a hard thing rises to the skin on the other side by where we would have an ankle - we cut at the top of the foot and out pops another hard piece - so we clean and bandage back up good to go or so we think. Just a note we are sterilizing all equipment for surgery to not add any risk to increase infection. So go back to soaks for a week - no improvement. My friend contacts her vet and he calls in an antibiotic prescription for the duck. So now feeding the duck bubblegum flavor free Publix antibiotics
lol.png
- by the way not the easiest of tasks - perhaps if it was fish flavored in the future? So again no improvement and hardness gets worse on top so we open up again and get a boat load of crap out of the top (pic) and stuff squeezes out but nothing soft - it is all hard. I am waiting for the zit popping sensation and it just hasnt happened yet (sorry but that is what the video looks like). So I give up and take her to the vet - he is super awesome because she is a 4H duck for my boys and they show her so he charges like pennies to help her out. So he is using a laser on her foot for 5 mins to kill the infection deep down - did that yesterday and again today plus now I am giving her penicillin shots each day - so I know she is getting these antibiotics. So I will keep updating how she recovers - hopefully all ends well I really would like to see her walking again instead of using her wing as a foot - she looks pitiful but still eating and drinking normally just no eggs
hu.gif

First pic of bottom surgery to remove 1st chunk of bumble

What it looks like now - much better but still at the top of the pad you can see it is still raised vs other foot is completely flat

Top of foot before any surgery - you can see how swollen the top is - it should be skin over a bone and very flat - each of her limbs are 5 times larger than her other foot

Days after the 2nd surgery on the top - still very swollen

Stuff that we picked out of the top of her foot - it was all hard as a rock

Hmmm...does seem strange...Is it still seeming to get better? I assume that the vet checked the duck and did agree it was bumble foot? Because that doesn't look like the infection plug you normally see...It looks almost like bits of bone...

Im so very glad your bird is recovering. Can you get bumble foot only on the bottom of the foot, or can it be any where on the foot?

Last edited:
Several of those pieces squeezed out easily which was weird I thought too. Yes the vet think it is just a horrible case of bumble foot. I have seen pictures where the infection has been removed from the top and also the bottom - so I am assuming the infection can be anywhere in the foot. This is my 1st case and hopefully my last as I have no desire to ever go through this again. I am not sure she is recovering just yet because the swelling is still on the top of the foot pretty bad. The temperature was almost the same between the feet today so hopefully she is getting better.

Hmmm...does seem strange...Is it still seeming to get better? I assume that the vet checked the duck and did agree it was bumble foot? Because that doesn't look like the infection plug you normally see...It looks almost like bits of bone...
I think the problem is we arent getting all the infection out - he is going to cut her open tomorrow if two the laser treatments dont show improvement by tomorrow. I will be much happier having him on the side of knife versus me!

I think the problem is we arent getting all the infection out - he is going to cut her open tomorrow if two the laser treatments dont show improvement by tomorrow. I will be much happier having him on the side of knife versus me!
Please let us know how it goes. and maybe soaking her foot in warm epsom salt water after treament will help speed healing
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom