My $5 chick just became a $500 chicken!!

Talullah

Chirping
May 5, 2020
Livermore, CA
I have a 6 week buff orpington that enjoys sitting on my shoulder. She was just sitting with me out in the run and cocking her head admiring my earrings. "It's that cute", I thought, "Noodle likes bling just like I do". The next thing I knew, Noodle had pulled my diamond earring completely out of my ear and it disappeared!! I looked all over for it at the bottom of the run (which is like looking for an earring in a haystack) but I didn't see it. I think she may have eaten it, because I did find the earring back and while I was holding the back in my hand she came over and gobbled it up! A couple of questions--assuming Noodle did eat my diamond earring, is it potentially dangerous for her as it was a pierced earring with a pointy back? Secondly, if I decided to try to recover the earring, how long would it likely take to make its way out of the chicken? I'm thinking about sequestering her in an area on top of a wee-wee pad so I could potentially poke through her poop later and see if I can recover the earring. I'm definitely not thrilled about this prospect but the earrings do have sentimental value. Any input is appreciated!

I don't know if the earring post would hurt the chicken. Maybe someone else can answer that. The diamond certainly won't hurt it. I think the idea of keeping on puppy pad might be good to help retrieve the earring. Putting the poop in a pan of water and swirling it around might help separate the diamond. Is the earring big enough that you can run it through a sieve? Sort of like panning for gold?

Mine got my stud earring a few weeks ago. I didn't get it back. In most cases, it should pass without problems. She seemed fine the whole time.

If you are going to try to reclaim it, you need to get her on the pad now. I've read that they can pass something as fast as 3 hours or as long as 24... And if it has been hot where you are, it might be faster. The crop only eliminates a little bit at a time, so depending on how easy something digests will probably determine how fast it moves through the system.

I've stopped wearing earrings.

Good luck!

Note: I am not an expert! Actually, I'm a first time chicken person. I had to Google this a few weeks ago. Others on the forum will know more.

I have a 6 week buff orpington that enjoys sitting on my shoulder. She was just sitting with me out in the run and cocking her head admiring my earrings. "It's that cute", I thought, "Noodle likes bling just like I do". The next thing I knew, Noodle had pulled my diamond earring completely out of my ear and it disappeared!! I looked all over for it at the bottom of the run (which is like looking for an earring in a haystack) but I didn't see it. I think she may have eaten it, because I did find the earring back and while I was holding the back in my hand she came over and gobbled it up! A couple of questions--assuming Noodle did eat my diamond earring, is it potentially dangerous for her as it was a pierced earring with a pointy back? Secondly, if I decided to try to recover the earring, how long would it likely take to make its way out of the chicken? I'm thinking about sequestering her in an area on top of a wee-wee pad so I could potentially poke through her poop later and see if I can recover the earring. I'm definitely not thrilled about this prospect but the earrings do have sentimental value. Any input is appreciated!
Seems like INPUT is what caused your problem in the first place. What you really need is OUTPUT ... or maybe THROUGHPUT?
I know this sounds like a terrible pun ... and maybe it is, but it's not totally intentional ... but I hope everything comes out all right for both you and Noodles!

I don't know if the earring post would hurt the chicken. Maybe someone else can answer that. The diamond certainly won't hurt it. I think the idea of keeping on puppy pad might be good to help retrieve the earring. Putting the poop in a pan of water and swirling it around might help separate the diamond. Is the earring big enough that you can run it through a sieve? Sort of like panning for gold?
This post made my day! Panning poop for diamonds. :lau Now if I could just get my chickens to poop diamonds? 🤔🤔

Talullah, did you ever get your earring back?

Back
Top Bottom