My 5 day old chick is not okay

Joultry

Songster
11 Years
Apr 12, 2012
North Alabama
I received 18 chicks in the mail on Wednesday and they have all been healthy until I went in to check this afternoon. I walked in and opened my brooder and all of the chicks scurried away from the opening except for 1 chick that didn’t even stir and was far away from the heat source tucked in the hay along the wall. I immediately knew something was not right, grabbed the baby, and noticed poop occluding it’s vent. I used a wet paper towel to soften and wipe away the matter then gave it some water which it happily scooped up out of a water bottle cap. It is acting very very lethargic, uncoordinated, but has since successfully passed a bowel movement. Something possibly worth noting is that this is the smallest chick in the group and has a black scab where the umbilical cord attached.
3BB20A32-FC50-40E4-A46E-134924869816.jpeg
7F0689BF-F356-425C-B54C-835E06917FF4.jpeg
679C47B5-2CFD-4E7F-83E8-25AB391AA36D.jpeg

Raw yolk. I know it sounds gross, but they love it.

That's good that it's not infected, keep an eye on it. And keep her hiney clean.
Thank you! I’ve been trying to keep a sharp eye on them especially in this first week but these little boogers tend to decline fast

I immediately knew something was not right, grabbed the baby, and noticed poop occluding it’s vent.
Sorry for your loss. :(

Pasty butt is deadly fast.. and is the first thing to check (after food and water consumption) when shipped chicks start slowing down. It will cause sepsis and total organ failure.

Many will claim Pasty butt is from overheating in the brooder.. total BS.. it can happen to any chick (even under a broody) and is especially easy to miss in large brood sizes.

Hope the rest continue to thrive! :fl

Back
Top Bottom