My 5 month old Leghorn hen is crowing like a rooster!!!!

keesmom

Free Ranging
Jul 28, 2008
MA
I have checked her legs for spurs........ there are none.

A 5 month old cockerel will not have spurs yet. Your chicken is definitely a male.

The ducks can certainly be laying. It may be cold but they are responding to the increasing day length.

Hip lady

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 22, 2013
I have noticed the same thing. I have a hen and she has started to crow like a rooster. Are they really able to change their sex after awhile?

realsis

Crazy for Silkies
7 Years
Jan 17, 2013
California
Hens that crow are very rare and its usually a old hen. They do not change sexes. All hens are capable of crowing the just don't. In certain situations a older hen that's usually without a rooster and has stopped laying might start crowing but the bird pictured above is a male bird. Some males don't get spurs until later in life some never get them at all. Also hens usually don't lay two eggs a day as it takes 24 hours for the egg making process to work. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

chicksurreal

Songster
6 Years
Dec 3, 2013
Arizona
One of our pullets, a SS Hamburg will crow at times. It doesn't sound like our cockerel, but she is definitely crowing. She's done it maybe 5 times since she was a couple of months old. It's so funny to listen to (and watch)!

And the OP's chicken sure looks like a cockerel to me too, but I don't have as much experience as a lot of you here do.

Last edited:

mumofsix

Songster
5 Years
Feb 21, 2014
Appalachian
I remember when I was younger About 5-6 I saw My Grandmother Kill a hen .I thought We were going to have Chicken and Dumplings for Supper. We didn't I ask Grandmother about the Chicken and She said it Crowed so She killed it. I couldn't figure that out. So again I ask this time Grandpa said "A crowing Hen and a Whistling Woman ain't no count.

chicksurreal

Songster
6 Years
Dec 3, 2013
Arizona
I remember when I was younger About 5-6 I saw My Grandmother Kill a hen .I thought We were going to have Chicken and Dumplings for Supper. We didn't I ask Grandmother about the Chicken and She said it Crowed so She killed it. I couldn't figure that out. So again I ask this time Grandpa said "A crowing Hen and a Whistling Woman ain't no count.

SAMnELLA

Crowing
Oct 19, 2008
North Florida
I also have a hen that crows. (a Dominique) Not as well as the rooster, but she's pretty close. I don't know how old she is but the guy said she was about a year old and she lays eggs. Not every day, usually every other day.
It's funny to hear the hen crow !

Hapee Chicks

In the Brooder
May 31, 2015
Arkansas
My Coop
Our 2 Peking ducks began laying at 5 months old. Some days we get zilch other days we get anywhere from 1_recently 5 eggs a day!
I have NO IDEA how this comes about. We also have 3 males.

Chicka-de

Chirping
Jul 13, 2014
San Antonio, TX
I read that it has been recorded that sex changes can happen, something to do with internal organs. Makes sense since people and animals alike can be born with both sexes, but it is not real common. I'm still learning about this because my rooster just laid an egg I think. I will have to post pics, but I noticed he doesn't crow and he is much slimmer with higher tail, very different from the other 2 I got at the same time. Im questioning my whole existence right now! lol.

Top Bottom