My 5 year old red star hen is all puffed up with diarrhea!

parrotschickens

Chirping
7 Years
May 24, 2012
Montana
She has been this way for 3-4weeks all puffed up slowly walking around varely picking up food. I thought mabey she is egg bound so i soaked her washed all the yellow diarrhea off her butt but didn't seem to help. I did give her a syringe full of antibiotic just to see if it would help. That was over a week ago not much improvement but she does seem to eat a little better. The antibiotic was tetracycline in the little packet. What is corid and how much do you give a chicken? Does anyone have an idea what this could be?

With yellow diarrhea I'd suspect worms.

Also some vets will do a fecal test for worms for a small fee. False negatives are possible. They also can test for coccidiosis.

Dosage for 9.6% Corid liquid is 9.5 ml per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Mix new solution daily. They also sell a powder. I would not give Corid myself unless the stool sample came back positive for cocci with that poo being yellow diarrhea- I'd treat for worms but that's just me.

http://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/resource000811_rep844.pdf

http://www.nda.agric.za/docs/gut/default.htm

Please note that I am not sure what is wrong but I hope this helps. A poo sample checked would be helpful.

Last edited:
Are you sure it was diarrhea or was it egg? Sometimes they start laying soft shelled or no shell eggs and they sometimes get it all over themselves. Often after that they stop laying altogether if they are going to have an internal laying problem. Has she been laying regularly? That will be the answer to that issue. If it is indeed diarrhea then I would start by deworming her. At her age I'd doubt coccidiosis unless she's new to your property or unless new birds have been brought in. It's not impossible just not what I'd suspect first.

I wouldn't give her any antibiotic's until you know what you are dealing with. One dose won't do her any good anyway. Corid is for treating coccidiosis. If you use the 20% powder the dose is 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water for 5 to 7 days. You need to make it up fresh every day. But if this has been going on 3 to 4 weeks I highly, highly doubt coccidiosis. That moves pretty fast and kills quickly.

I would probably start with having a fecal test done on her and go from there. Especially if she has not been on a regular deworming program.

Are you sure it was diarrhea or was it egg? Sometimes they start laying soft shelled or no shell eggs and they sometimes get it all over themselves. Often after that they stop laying altogether if they are going to have an internal laying problem. Has she been laying regularly? That will be the answer to that issue. If it is indeed diarrhea then I would start by deworming her. At her age I'd doubt coccidiosis unless she's new to your property or unless new birds have been brought in. It's not impossible just not what I'd suspect first.

I wouldn't give her any antibiotic's until you know what you are dealing with. One dose won't do her any good anyway. Corid is for treating coccidiosis. If you use the 20% powder the dose is 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water for 5 to 7 days. You need to make it up fresh every day. But if this has been going on 3 to 4 weeks I highly, highly doubt coccidiosis. That moves pretty fast and kills quickly.

I would probably start with having a fecal test done on her and go from there. Especially if she has not been on a regular deworming program.
x2 well said!!

I'm sorry I was wrong my husband is saying it's not yellow but pasty or the color of her urine and then it coats all over her butt when she goes to the bathroom. We have not seen any egg running out of her. I don't believe she is laying but I could be wrong. She stands alot just puffed up. She was wormed with valbazen in August so i doubt that would be it. I did notice that when i soaked her butt in water when i touched right below the keel bone she acted like it hurt her. Any other diagnosis? I will see what a fecal test will cost tomorrow!

I'm sorry I was wrong my husband is saying it's not yellow but pasty or the color of her urine and then it coats all over her butt when she goes to the bathroom. We have not seen any egg running out of her. I don't believe she is laying but I could be wrong. She stands alot just puffed up. She was wormed with valbazen in August so i doubt that would be it. I did notice that when i soaked her butt in water when i touched right below the keel bone she acted like it hurt her. Any other diagnosis? I will see what a fecal test will cost tomorrow!
does it smell? Take a picture of her vent area and post it. Check her for lice and mites. Put ACV/M in her drinking water to help.

I took a picture and will be uploading it soon. When i took the picture I didn't clean her behind yet because I wanted you all to see it. Also, when i caught her she was swollen or you could say squishy below her keel bone. I don't know if that's considered the abdomen? She is still standing around but her appetite has improved greatly. Glad for any input!

Back
Top Bottom