My 6 month old hen got her leg caught in an old fashion trap for 4 hours before I found her

Lea Ann Fugate

Hatching
Oct 6, 2022
Her leg is injured all the way around, as the trap pinched her foot above the claw. I have put Neosporin on it and today we noticed a green bubble that has come up. I'm worried and am wondering if someone could tell me if I should take her into the vet.

Attachments

• IMG_3157.jpg
    IMG_3157.jpg
    320.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3158.jpg
    IMG_3158.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 4
The green is bruised skin which has blistered. The foot looks pretty swollen. Is the skin missing all the way around the leg? I’m not a vet, but she could have a risk of infection in the bone or circulation problems. Hopefully she won’t lose the foot, but the dark color makes me think she may. I would get some chlorhexidene or Hibiclens and disinfect the wound a couple of times a day, followed by plain Neosporin or other antibiotic ointment until some healing occurs.

In addition to what @Eggcessive suggested, I would also give her several long soaks in warm Epsom salts to help circulation and soothe the wounded tissues.

It doesn't look good for her. She will probably lose that foot. Wait on the vet for now. If it swells and festers and she declines in behavior, then I'd get her to a vet to treat possible infection.

The green is bruised skin which has blistered. The foot looks pretty swollen. Is the skin missing all the way around the leg? I’m not a vet, but she could have a risk of infection in the bone or circulation problems. Hopefully she won’t lose the foot, but the dark color makes me think she may. I would get some chlorhexidene or Hibiclens and disinfect the wound a couple of times a day, followed by plain Neosporin or other antibiotic ointment until some healing occurs.
Yes, the skin is missing all the way around... We've been putting Neosporin on it, but I need to go and get chlorhexidine or Hibiclens for it. Thank you so very much. I was worried the blisters might be an infection. Hopefully a bruise...

In addition to what @Eggcessive suggested, I would also give her several long soaks in warm Epsom salts to help circulation and soothe the wounded tissues.

It doesn't look good for her. She will probably lose that foot. Wait on the vet for now. If it swells and festers and she declines in behavior, then I'd get her to a vet to treat possible infection.
Thank you so much... praying for my girl!!!

Back
Top Bottom