My 7 Year old daughter wants to show Seramas.

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by StrawberryHouseMouse, Mar 31, 2009.

1. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    Well I learned a very valuble lesson today. Never talk about something around your kids that you wouldnt want them to hear.
    I was talking to my hubby today about chicken shows. Its a long story about what we was discussing but thats for another day.
    My 7 Year old daughter was listening in and after we was done talking she said out of no where "Mommy I wanna go to a chickie beauty show!"

Im sure I had one of those faces that looked like I was about to laugh and fear. You know which one I'm talking about.

I then told her "Honey we live too far away from any of the places that have shows. The only one here is once a year at the fair. " She then said "Well what about clubs. Is there any clubs I can join and show at the fair then?" And I sort of gave that groan and long pause like I was trying to find a way to say no. But she caught on to it before I could say no and got all upset. She went from sounding excited to pitching a right out fit "Your so mean! You dont let me have any pets, you dont let me join any clubs! All my friends are cheer leaders and in the girl scouts or soccer!" Then stormed off to cry in her room.

Of course I felt sort of proud that my daughter was interested in chickens. Its one of my passions so why wouldnt I be proud that my flesh and blood was becoming passionate in it too? So feeling bad I went on the ABA site and looked to see if they had a junior membership and they did. I called her back in and asked her what she would like to show.

I expected silkies to come out of her mouth. But she surprised me and said "I want those tiny birds" I didnt know what tiny ment, I assumed. "Old english?" She asked what it looked like and so I showed her. She said "no, smaller then that.. " So I had to think again.. and felt sick. She wanted Seramas... dear god help me.

We went to a site with them and she sure enough wanted those. [​IMG]

So here I am. I'm trying to figure out where to get some. Jerry Schexnayder is an option. A friend sent him my email address. I hope I dont have to pay a small fortune for a pair of show quality Seramas. I cant afford it [​IMG]

Kids are going to be the death of me.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  2. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    I think on one site I looked at yesterday they ranged from $125.00 - $300.00 per pair. [​IMG]

3. StrawberryHouseMouse

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    Yeah. I looked at it today after my friend mentioned Jerry. I looked up Jerry's name and found his site. But it seems he might send me a pair of show birds for just the shipping since she is trying to get into showing them. He seems to be a very devoted and friendly guy in that way. I have yet to talk to him. But we will see.

4. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    Thats great, I love it when people help kids like that!

5. StrawberryHouseMouse

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    Quote:I do too. It makes life a lot better for kids when they are able to participate in things they want in life. I think kids that are in poverty and unable to be in a positive surrounding with things to keep them busy are more likely to get into drugs and trouble. Kids that aren't and are incouraged and rewarded for doing good do better in life. [​IMG] I hope he comes through for us. Cause I can't afford a Show Serama other wise for her. $300 for a pair is just too much for me or anyone I'm sure that isn't rich.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  6. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

[​IMG]

Here's a cute face............ I like the silkied ones !

7. StrawberryHouseMouse

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    lol he looks funny. Is that a red pyle?

8. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

That rooster is CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wanna hug him!

9. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

He's a sweet pie,and in the pic he had just ate his weight in feed, lol, his name is Mr. Sampson. [​IMG] I guess that's what they call his color....

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  10. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    oh he is a cutie pie!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by