1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My 8 week old RIR sounds like a duck. Might it be a roo?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ima57boomer, May 19, 2011.

1. ima57boomer

ima57boomer Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2011
    This is my first year for chickens and I have ten 8 weeks old birds. They all sound like what I would guess hens to sound like, gentle sounds and the occasional louder cluck or squawk, but one of my Rhode Island Reds sounds like a duck. Might this mean she isn't really Lucy, but perhaps Lester? There is no noticeable difference in the development of the comb, etc

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    You should post a picture of her in the Gender/Breed section and let the folks take a look. They are really good at this sort of thing. [​IMG]

3. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    I have a female silkie that when alarmed quacks like a duck. First time I heard it about fell over laughing. She still quacks out her alarms.

One male cockeral that is a Dominique x Australope cross that sounds like a goose. What is really funny is his first crow sounded like a goose trying to crow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by