My 9 month old Black Sex Link hen has cracked her beak - what can we do?

SuburbChickens

In the Brooder
Jun 1, 2016
My 9 month old black Sex Link hen has cracked her beak - we have no idea how this could've happened. What can we do? She somehow has cracked her beak clear across the top, from one side to the other, about a fourth of the way in from the tip/end of her beak.I don't know how deep the crack is, but she was having a little bit of a struggle picking up mealworms(her favorite snack) today. It worries me, and I'm wondering if it could be painful for her and if I can do anything to repair her beak. Would super glue work & be safe to carefully try? I read that their beaks are made of a substance very much like our fingernails, but much thicker and stronger. I thought of possibly using superglue, because I've used that to repair a deep crack in my nail before. So I was wondering if it would be safe to use on her beak. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Sorry about your pullet. Injured beaks can be common injuries. Put some feed in a bowl with some water to make it very wet. That will make it easier to get fluids into her and food. Google or do a search at the top of this page for repair of a broken beak in chicken. Look for posts by TheChickenChick.com or Beauty of Birds. Let us know how she does.

Depending on the location of the crack? You could try and glue it or snip off the broken piece if the crack is not to far up the beak...

my one hen broke the tip off her beak so looked like she was debeaked.....

Good luck

Depending on the location of the crack? You could try and glue it or snip off the broken piece if the crack is not to far up the beak...

my one hen broke the tip off her beak so looked like she was debeaked.....

Good luck
I am going to try using superglue gel and follow the directions that I found for that method so I can repair her beak. Thanks so much for your reply/help!

Last edited:
Sorry about your pullet. Injured beaks can be common injuries.  Put some feed in a bowl with some water to make it very wet. That will make it easier to get fluids into her  and food. Google or do a search at the top of this page for repair of a broken beak in chicken. Look for posts by TheChickenChick.com or Beauty of Birds. Let us know how she does.
Thank you for letting me know..I found some great info there on how to repair her beak!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom