my 9wk old wont quit pecking me. What to do?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nursesammy, Jul 7, 2010.

1. nursesammy

nursesammy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Alta Vista , KS
    I have a 9 wk old BR or CM [still figuring this out]. Every time i let her out of her pen or put my hand down anywhere around her she just pecks pecks pecks. It makes me sad because i worked so hard to gentle her. Now she hates me! What can i do? [​IMG]:hit

2. The Tinman

The Tinman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Fairfield County CT
    Never HIT! Eat! dose she peck you hard? Peck her back with your finger. It works for me. Sometimes they think a freckle is a something to eat.Sometime they just want your attention.Sometimes they just want to be left alone.Sometimes they just act like a chicken. During the day mine don`t like being touched but at night in the the coop they are so loving. They want to be held and petted and they even purr. I never knew chickens purr. It sounds like an old rotory phone.

3. SmittenChicken

SmittenChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Quote:And this is why I love BYC. Always learning something new! Now I'm going to be out there petting my chickens, trying to get them to purr. I hope I get to hear the rotary phone sound myself. [​IMG]

4. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    She's not pecking because she's mean-she's pecking because she's curious and maybe thinks you have something good in your hand.
    I have the sweetest little Pyncheon rooster who is always jumping up in my lap and pecking at me for either attention or snacks.
    Believe me, she doesn't hate you.

5. nursesammy

Mar 21, 2010
    Alta Vista , KS
    Oh no.. I never hit. i tried to put a crying face and for some reason it came up as" [​IMG]" instead of the actual face. Anyway she pecks my fingers. Hard! Like my RIRs do when they dont wanna be touched. She really goes after me.Ill try the pecking back.

6. nursesammy

Mar 21, 2010
    Alta Vista , KS
    Lol oh now it works! Well im sorry i gave the impression that i hit. I dont i promise. I dont beleive in hitting animals. Especially chickens. I would think it would make them be afraid of u. I deff. Dont want that!

7. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:I could tell by how upset you were that you thought she hated you to know you surely wouldn't hit her! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by