My A-frame chicken condo - first pics

You are awesome! I have been hunting and hunting for something simple to build for my chickies that are coming Friday (they won't need it for a month and a half or two), but just couldn't find anything that didn't look completely overwhelming and expensive. That is PERFECT! It's the right size, doesn't have a ton of parts, looks very secure and doesn't involved digging holes for posts (as the one I was designing did). I am going to copy the heck out of you! Thanks!!!

Very nice! The first photo looks like an ad for the pen!
It looks so wonderful. So nicely done!
clap.gif

Well thought out use of lumber. I'm guessing you made less than 12 saw cuts so far.

How many chickens are you planning?

Are the nest boxes going to be inside or outside on the back of the A frame?

Thanx,

David

Hey, this is gorgeous, and I think we will have to mercilessly copy it too, for the extra space we've been wanting for birds at various stages, new chicks, breeding pairs, etc. I LOVE it, and it looks like a really easy build. Love how you worked with the wood, and built to plywood standards, etc.

Such a great job!

Thanks for the compliments, everyone.
I actually got a lot of the ideas and inspiration from this site,
which is a great one.

As far as the construction, I used all 8 foot boards.
First, made the bottom rectangle (16 x 8). I should have used 16 foot boards here, but didn't have anything to haul it.
Then cut the side 2 x 4's with 30 degree and 60 degree mitre cuts.
Then screwed the side boards to the 2 x 6 ridge.

One sheet of plywood covers the nesting section on each side, the another sheet for the back.

I bought some 4 foot wide welded wire and just went up one side and down the other. (3 times). Those washers with the little hole and wood screws work great here. Chicken wire would be easier and cheaper if you don't have predators.

It is very heavy. Don't plan on "tractoring" it.

I'll try to get some pictures of the inside, but I'm just getting going in it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom