my 'A' frame chicken house..

Nchicks

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 17, 2012
hey,

just thought i'd like everyone to comment on my house for the chickens.. now it isn't finished...

here's whats gonna happen to it

- 6 boxes for chickens to sleep in.
- they'res a bit of dead space so that'll be for chicken food underneath
- lick of paint (chestnut) thought it went well lol
- mesh around
- and i'll have a door to check the eggs where they sleep.

can anyone give me constructive critisitizam? it's not finished

If they sleep in the nest boxes, you will get poo on your eggs. I would add a roost that is a little higher than the nest boxes if you can. Like put a cross brace about the middle height on the front and back A arch and run a 2x2 down the length of the coop for a roost.
smile.png

x2 you need roosts for sleeping and want to prevent them from sleeping in the nest. If they start doing that discourage them right away.

How many birds are you getting? 6 boxes looks like way too many for the amount of birds that can live in that space. You only need 1 box for every 3-4 birds. They would rather share. Space to move around is important. Overcrowding causes very serious bullying problems.

what are roosts?

i have around 19 chicks.. depending on how many are going to be hatching

x2 you need roosts for sleeping and want to prevent them from sleeping in the nest. If they start doing that discourage them right away.

How many birds are you getting? 6 boxes looks like way too many for the amount of birds that can live in that space. You only need 1 box for every 3-4 birds. They would rather share. Space to move around is important. Overcrowding causes very serious bullying problems.

x2

sorry, total noobie... just need a little help to understand a bit

Chickens prefer to roost on a perch when sleeping, the higher the better. It makes them feel safe and natural. If they sleep where they lay eggs, you're going to have major poopy egg problems. What are the dimensions of the coop. Will they live in there all the time or free range a bit? How many are you gonna keep? Looking good so far!

Back
Top Bottom