My Accomplishments with Coturnix Quail this Year/Pics

Discussion in 'Quail' started by First To Hatch, Oct 24, 2009.

1. First To Hatch

First To Hatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    New York
    These are chicks that I hatched from Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain I had 33 hatch, 1 died as a day old, I had to cull 2, and 1 died at 2 weeks old and another wasn't growing and just died by itself at 4 weeks old. P.S. These are all phone pics sorry.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Ugly Stage

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Five Week Old A&Ms

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I processed 10 birds yesterday did pretty well my dad killed them and plucked them, then I cleaned his sloppy plucking job took there legs and heads off, and my mom took out the guts, nice family activity eh? lol

So I thought I'd take some adult pictures of the birds today went out took the tarp off the Jumbo Goldens & Browns then went to the A&Ms and found 2 dead.. my 2nd and 3rd biggest birds I was/still am very upset about it. I'm not sure a predator killed them they just have little cuts near there heads if it was a raccoon he woulda ripped open the cage and took them a weasel would have pulled there heads out and eaten them off. So my guess is they got in a fight and killed each other the cuts were really weren't that bad though I'm thinking they died from shock? But I also have 2 injured A&Ms in the garage now they are getting some antibacterial stuff so they wont get an infection. I might try and take some pictures again. I was hoping I haf enough birds so I'd never have to order eggs again but after loosing these two big ones I might have to go back to Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain next spring.

Thanks for listening!

P.S. I might post more pictures later!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  2. Bornacentury2L8

Bornacentury2L8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Cartersville, Ga.
    Pretty birds! Sorry about the losses. I just got my first ones last weekend, and they are all Pharoah. All healthy so far. I like your assortment of colors. I hope the sick ones get better for you. I hope you do post more pics. [​IMG]

3. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Awww... thank you for sharing. [​IMG] It's so neat to see the grandbabies! Unfortunately, I had a predator rip through my brown/golden cage, not once, but twice, and I have only 4 females left right now. [​IMG] So I'm starting from the ground up again. Four females is plenty, though! The Texas A&Ms are still going strong, coming out of a molt. I'm going to see if I can get all-white birds within the next couple of generations.
    Seeing the pictures of the babies makes me want to turn on the incubators again... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. First To Hatch

Apr 30, 2008
    New York
    Out of like 15 A&Ms only like 4 weren't ALL WHITE and I'm going to need some A&Ms next year lol I'm cooking some birds right now.

5. First To Hatch

Apr 30, 2008
    New York
    Well I just ate my first quail... It wasn't what I expected, I think I expected more it didn't really live up to its hype IMO, I'm not really sure it was worth all the trouble I'm still kinda debating it. I hope this doesn't discourage anyone from trying quail, because they are worth trying.

6. skywatcher

skywatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Arlington,Indiana
    Looks like you had A great production year & plentiful harvest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by