My Accomplishments with Coturnix Quail this Year/Pics

First To Hatch

Songster
11 Years
Apr 30, 2008
New York
These are chicks that I hatched from Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain I had 33 hatch, 1 died as a day old, I had to cull 2, and 1 died at 2 weeks old and another wasn't growing and just died by itself at 4 weeks old. P.S. These are all phone pics sorry.
8.jpg

6.jpg

4.jpg

9.jpg

3.jpg

3.jpg

1.jpg

The Ugly Stage

ll.jpg

pp.jpg

Five Week Old A&Ms

yy.jpg

hh.jpg

I processed 10 birds yesterday did pretty well my dad killed them and plucked them, then I cleaned his sloppy plucking job took there legs and heads off, and my mom took out the guts, nice family activity eh? lol

So I thought I'd take some adult pictures of the birds today went out took the tarp off the Jumbo Goldens & Browns then went to the A&Ms and found 2 dead.. my 2nd and 3rd biggest birds I was/still am very upset about it. I'm not sure a predator killed them they just have little cuts near there heads if it was a raccoon he woulda ripped open the cage and took them a weasel would have pulled there heads out and eaten them off. So my guess is they got in a fight and killed each other the cuts were really weren't that bad though I'm thinking they died from shock? But I also have 2 injured A&Ms in the garage now they are getting some antibacterial stuff so they wont get an infection. I might try and take some pictures again. I was hoping I haf enough birds so I'd never have to order eggs again but after loosing these two big ones I might have to go back to Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain next spring.

Thanks for listening!

P.S. I might post more pictures later!

Last edited:
Pretty birds! Sorry about the losses. I just got my first ones last weekend, and they are all Pharoah. All healthy so far. I like your assortment of colors. I hope the sick ones get better for you. I hope you do post more pics.
smile.png

Awww... thank you for sharing.
hugs.gif
It's so neat to see the grandbabies! Unfortunately, I had a predator rip through my brown/golden cage, not once, but twice, and I have only 4 females left right now.
sad.png
So I'm starting from the ground up again. Four females is plenty, though! The Texas A&Ms are still going strong, coming out of a molt. I'm going to see if I can get all-white birds within the next couple of generations.
Seeing the pictures of the babies makes me want to turn on the incubators again...
barnie.gif

lol.png

Out of like 15 A&Ms only like 4 weren't ALL WHITE and I'm going to need some A&Ms next year lol I'm cooking some birds right now.

Well I just ate my first quail... It wasn't what I expected, I think I expected more it didn't really live up to its hype IMO, I'm not really sure it was worth all the trouble I'm still kinda debating it. I hope this doesn't discourage anyone from trying quail, because they are worth trying.

Back
Top Bottom