My Advice on a successful Silkie Hatch

SilkieLover1969

In the Brooder
Nov 7, 2019
I've incubated & hatched several breeds of chickens & have found the Silkies are the absolute hardest to get perfect. We have to remember they are almost half the size of a large or extra large egg so that means less humidity in the beginning. It's normal to fluctuate a few digits so up to 40% is acceptable. However, I have found by losing not only these but other breeds as well what was killing them everytime. The higher humidity. I'm referring solely to Silkies on this thread. Mine survive on lower humidity. 1st off you must have your incubator setting for 24 hours before you set them. Make sure you have a reputable accurate hydrometer & it's calibrated correctly! Very important.You will find the just about every incubator there is out there is off by several digits. Do not go by them. Always have an extra hydrometer on hand just in case the other quits or breaks. Cheap ones aren't worth losing your batches. You'll want to spend more for a better one. Using a forced air incubator is a must if you don't have a broody hen. I'm finding that 99°-100° is the best for hatching. To much humidity will drown them. I lost mine because the humidity was way to high in the end over 65%. Do not add water to every channel in the beginning. Only every other channel is acceptable & (no more than 1/4 cup in each channel in a 48 quantity incubator for instance to start out with). For me I start out at 30% then on day 10 when candling I increase by only adding a 1/4 cup in 2 more empty channels to bring it up to 50% then by day 17 no more than 60% add another 1/4 cup in the remaining channels. I only candle on day 10 then day 17. Then after lockdown never open it until all chicks are hatched. I'm finding if they haven't hatched by day 24 for my Silkies then they've perished unfortunately. So only opening the incubator to candle twice & same time to add water to channels is all you should do. Turning off automatic turner on day 17 is a must. U can remove turner or I just leave mine in there. If you choose to remove it then gently lay them all down in the bottom then leave them alone. They can remain for 24 hours in incubator after hatching. Any left should be candled & tossed if no movement is obvious. You can also google doing the float test on them on day 22. Be very careful though these babies are very delicate & the least tiny bit of humidity change or temperature change will kill them. Good luck with your new batch of Silkies. We absolutely enjoy them & look forward to our new hatches.

Last edited:
Great advice! I did a couple quail hatchings this year and starting silkies this weekend.

One thing I fretted over during the quail hatchings was the ones that were hatched jostling and rolling the eggs that hadn't hatched yet. Do you worry about that, and if so, how do you prevent it?

Last edited:
You're welcome anytime. I just try giving folks the best thorugh advice I can so they don't lose a bunch of batches that could've been prevented by just a few important details like I did. Once you get it just right you will have a 90-100% hatch rate.

I also don't go by the float tests ever! They're just not 100% accurate! I know that with 100% certainty because I nearly threw out 7 viable eggs that ended up hatching that appeared to be a dud when I did the float test & when candled they take up most of the egg & were dark chicks. I waited two days after due date on my sex links not Silkies & them 7 all hatched.

Back
Top Bottom