My Almost 7month old Hens not laying?

TheZMom

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 13, 2012
I have 3 hens and a rooster... they have not laid ONE egg yet... they are almost 7 months old!? Whats going on!?

What breed are they? Some breeds lay as early as 4 1/2 months where some of the larger breeds like Brahmas can take up to a year.

One is a [FONT=Georgia, Utopia, Palatino Linotype, Palatino, serif]Buff Orpington[/FONT] one is an [FONT=Georgia, Utopia, Palatino Linotype, Palatino, serif]Australorp[/FONT] and the other is a [FONT=Georgia, Utopia, Palatino Linotype, Palatino, serif]Barred Plymouth Rock Bantam[/FONT].

Also we got them March 4th, I believe they were a day or two old.

Last edited:
If you got them around March 4th at a day or two old, then they are actually only 6 1/2 months old. I am not sure about the bantams, but my guess for the other breeds you mentioned would be that they would start laying between 6 and 8 months old.

I have a Buff Orpington that is around 28 weeks and still not laying. My Leghorn has been laying for almost a month now.

Leghorns are 1 of the earliest layers. Lorps & Orps lay late. I would think the bantam rock should lay soon. Keep an eye on the comb for color change & when you see it turn bright red you should have eggs within a week or 2. Your girls are also right around molting season too. That could also delay the start of egg laying as could extreme temps, too hot or too cold.

I have read on here that to many treats could delay them or cease egg production. They need to be kept on a controlled diet like when a woman gains weight it could throw off her cycle, same with hen. You may already know that info, but I didn't, so maybe I could help someone. I was treating my hens twice a day and I wondered why my girls where looking o hefty, lol. So, Now I give them a few handsful of clover and wet grass before lunch as a treat and table scraps once a week.

Back
Top Bottom