My Attempt at a Dual Purpose Heritage Flock

Pics
Have any of you attempted to develop your own breed of chickens? My family had chickens when I was a child. I've had chickens for 20+ years. My search for the ideal dual purpose bird failed. Different ones I've tried include, but not limited to, games, barred rock, orpington, blue andalusian, campine, white rock, buckeye, malay, etc. Some were good layers and some good meat birds but all fell short of being good dual purpose birds. The Buckeye, orpington and barred rock were the best overall. I used these 3 and a couple others to develop my breed. It took around 10 years but they are close. Consistent feather color/pattern, leg color, brown eggs, consistent body type, etc. I do have a white off-spring occasionally. The combs vary, but no straight combs. Any thoughts or suggestions?

some pics of the groups
20220418_153459.jpg

20220418_153345.jpg

20220418_153507.jpg

20220418_153422.jpg

Have any of you attempted to develop your own breed of chickens? My family had chickens when I was a child. I've had chickens for 20+ years. My search for the ideal dual purpose bird failed. Different ones I've tried include, but not limited to, games, barred rock, orpington, blue andalusian, campine, white rock, buckeye, malay, etc. Some were good layers and some good meat birds but all fell short of being good dual purpose birds. The Buckeye, orpington and barred rock were the best overall. I used these 3 and a couple others to develop my breed. It took around 10 years but they are close. Consistent feather color/pattern, leg color, brown eggs, consistent body type, etc. I do have a white off-spring occasionally. The combs vary, but no straight combs. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Have not tried developing my own breed. Felt kind of life it would be reinventing the wheel. Would love to see pics of some of your birds though. Got a name for this "breed"?

Have not tried developing my own breed. Felt kind of life it would be reinventing the wheel. Would love to see pics of some of your birds though. Got a name for this "breed"?
To be honest I wouldn't have either if I could have found a breed that suited me. The project has been a lot of work and a not inconsiderable amount of frustration. I call them "Spangled Sardonyx". I haven't taken any recent pictures but I'll get some and post them.

These are descendants, a few generations removed from the first rooster. This is after I added buff orpington. I am currently breeding him to a flock of 4 hens (all look like the hen with him). My first hatch, from these was 13 babies, all with the barred feather pattern.

Attachments

• descendant #2.jpeg
    descendant #2.jpeg
    131.3 KB · Views: 21

Back
Top Bottom