My Attempt at a Dual Purpose Heritage Flock

Pics
One question, so there are other breeds of chickens that are fast growth not just the standard cobb500 or cornish cross Broilers?

I'm interested in getting Fast growth chickens for sustainability as well

NH is not a CX. They finish around 16 weeks but have way better meat than CX. There isnt as much meat but they are a self sustaining breed. CX chicks can cost over 5 bucks each after you include shipping. And covid taught us that nothing coming through the mail is completely reliable.

Henry Nolls' NH are incredible birds!

Yes. I would call the cornish cross broilers "super fast", reaching processing weight at about 8 weeks. They are a hybrid of a few breeds, and a terminal cross.

The "fast growing" breeds like red rangers are also hybrids, but grow a bit slower than cx, ready for butchering about 12-16 weeks. They are also hybrids, and basically a terminal cross, but take longer to die than a cornish x would.

Then there are heritage breeds. These are not crosses, and breed true. Many of these breeds used to be really dual purpose, not laying quite as much but getting a bit larger. The "line" of these that you get within the breed is very important depending on your goals. I would probably have very different results if I bought non heritage, hatchery quality NHs. The NHs I got have been being bred for meat qualities long before I got my hands on them.

I dont think all CX are terminal. I have 2 CX hens and 1 CX rooster that are 2 years old.

I have NHxCX eggs in my incubator right now. I have a crazy breeding plan going on here myself.

Wish you the best and maybe someday we can do some trading.

I dont think all CX are terminal. I have 2 CX hens and 1 CX rooster that are 2 years old.
Yes, you can keep them alive and breed them, although it typically takes some special management.

In animal breeding, a terminal cross does mean it dies young. It means that the breeders and farmers do not intend to produce offspring from these animals.
If they want more chickens/pigs/cattle to butcher, they cross the same parent types again, rather than picking the best of this group to produce the next generation.

Yes, Cornish Cross are known for dying young, but the parent stock would have the same problem unless they were managed properly (restricted feed for slower growth and longer life, instead of feeding for fastest growth.)

So Cornish Cross dying young is not what makes them a terminal cross.
They are a terminal cross because they are not meant to be bred. They have the right genes for being eaten, but typically will not pass the right combination of those genes to their chicks.

(I don't know what the other poster meant by calling them a terminal cross, but I do know how the term is usually used in animal-raising literature.)

No but eggs go in the mail pretty easy.
Yeah it depends on your PO
I spent a lot on eggs from a very well known standard Cornish breeder. PO did a number on them and I ended up with one.... From 3 shipments that were well packaged 40 eggs.... I called him Steve the 6 million dollar chicken LOL

Your project is really inspirational @Tre3hugger! I’d love to work on breed preservation if I can ever grow up and settle on what to work with.

I just hatched some Buckeyes and supposedly they should be sexable similarly to New Hampshire’s. I’m going to give it a try but I imagine there’s a learning curve.
Thank you! Buckeye is a really cool breed! What are your plans for them?

Yeah it depends on your PO
I spent a lot on eggs from a very well known standard Cornish breeder. PO did a number on them and I ended up with one.... From 3 shipments that were well packaged 40 eggs.... I called him Steve the 6 million dollar chicken LOL

Some post masters run a terrible show. Glad the old dude in Millington finally retired a few yrs ago. Now the workers are so much cooler.

Package with bubble wrap and hope for the best.

Im still thinking about going NPIP... thinking

Back
Top Bottom