My Attempt at a Dual Purpose Heritage Flock

Pics
Glad the pics can help someone. Yeah the size difference is cray. Looks like the next goal will be selecting for larger Delawares! I am also thinking about doing a toad project like @duluthralphie , but I would put one of the sex link males (NH/DEL cross) over some NH females. Eat them all! That should make for some real fatties. Perhaps I will have time to do that once before the snow falls.

I just recouped today. Put 4 NH hens and 1 CX hen in with him.

About 20 minutes later i watched my 2 year old CX rooster mount my 2 year old CX hen. Im pretty geeked.

Chicks are about 5 weeks old. Growing nicely and officially off heat. I was able to sell my 5 sex link girls as soon as the heat went off for 50 bucks. Aweosme! I have another 22 eggs in the bator due in a week. At that point these sex link boys (white) will be moved to the meat grow out tractor and the NHs will begin a see but no touch integration into the flock. Looks like I got 3 NH pullets and 1 cockerel. Perfect! I will keep this new cockerel. The larger of my 2 current breeder boys is bottom of the pecking order and starting to look real delicious. As always I am utterly failing with record keeping but my plan is to get some weights at the 6 week mark.
And without further ado.

The NH cockerel in the center's sex has been obvious for weeks. Super thick legs and very quick comb/wattle development
View attachment 3109976
This looks like a hip hop album cover. Lil peep and the Fowl Gang
View attachment 3109988
Boys are startin to beef up
View attachment 3109989

Birds are looking awesome bro!

Found a deceased Delaware breeder in the yard yesterday. I am incredibly anxious now about Avain flu. She showed no signs of lethargy or respiratory distress that morning when I checked in on everyone. From looking her over and the position I found her in, my best working theory is it was a mating injury. I really don't know. Fingers crossed it is an isolated death and I am not dealing with anything more serious. :fl

Back
Top Bottom