My Aussie looks hungry

buffwinfields

Hatching
6 Years
Jan 27, 2013
I have a three year old Aussie Shepherd that I am trying to introduce to my new flock. He has never been around chickens before, so everyone is new at this. When he is allowed to roam free, he is running straight to the coop and refuses to listen or obey any commands. Today he started pawing and biting at the gate and did some damage to the wood. I have held chicks right up to his face and he won't even look at them, but will immediately try to get at the rest of the flock. Anyone tried correction collars? I am willing to spend some time training, but these are supposed to be rangers and there is no way I am letting him near them unless something changes drastically.

I have a 5 year-old Aussie. Frankly, you are going to have to complete the part of his training that includes following commands, before you can teach him to leave the birds alone or anything else. Aussies are smart, strong-willed dogs. Properly trained, see Cesar Milan, they can be wonderful around chickens.

Mine pretty much ignores the chickens. The only problems I have had are with the chickens trying to share his food. I make sure that I feed him before I let the chickens out for the day.

Chris

I have a 5 year-old Aussie. Frankly, you are going to have to complete the part of his training that includes following commands, before you can teach him to leave the birds alone or anything else. Aussies are smart, strong-willed dogs. Properly trained, see Cesar Milan, they can be wonderful around chickens.

Mine pretty much ignores the chickens. The only problems I have had are with the chickens trying to share his food. I make sure that I feed him before I let the chickens out for the day.

Chris
x2

Back
Top Bottom