1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Babies are Gone

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Stevida, May 23, 2008.

1. Stevida

Stevida Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2008
    West Grove PA
    I had 1 golden comet and 3 rhode island reds that were 6 weeks old in my chicken tractor last night - that someone stole! [​IMG]

I built the tractor special for them and raised them from tiny chicks. I am devastated. We filed a report with the police, but they are not really taking it seriously. They wanted to know the worth of the chickens? Like I can put a price tag on them!?!?!?

I also had a White crested Polish in the tractor - they didn't see her. She is very quite, easy to miss and must have been in the top part of the tractor. But now she is all alone.

Back in November we had 4 chickens mysteriously disappear, they were on a chicken yard and we thought maybe a predator got them, but now i don't know. Someone is stealing my chickens!! I live in a 1 square mile borough, my husband is the mayor!

What do I do!?!

Davida

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I have a sick feeling that in this day of increasing economic horrors, we're going to see more and more theft. I told my DH we would not get another dog when our sweet cuddly old girl Kes is gone, but if we start having troubles like that, you can bet I'll get another dog and it will be trained to guard this property and my birds. I'm sorry about your babies. I love every one of mine.

3. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Yowch! That isnt the sort of thing you hear too much of but it still hurts. My condolences.

You most certainly can put price tag on them. Add up the cost of the chicks, materials to house them, the feed and the cost of the eggs you now have to PURCHASE at the store over the life of the birds.

How to stop thieves? First, dont take the advice to become a vigilante - youre not there yet. Sounds like a home security plan is in the works. Unfortunately it is harder to secure things outside than it is inside. A good friend of mine uses inexpensive cameras around the perimeter of his property and motion detectors. A big dog is a thought....

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2008
  4. Royal Blue

Royal Blue Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2008
    Where my better half is
    I'm sorry for your loss. I know how you feel. I'm usually a nice person, but these days try even the best of us. Please inform your police department that the cost or worth of the chickens isn't the issue. It is the life of the person that stole them. If they find the thief just return the missing birds, if you find the birds call the undertaker. Yes I would take a human life to protect my property. The times are coming when we all will have to make such choices. Either defend what you have or give it up.

5. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    I am so sorry to hear about that. [​IMG] That is just terrible!!!!! Have you talked with all your neighbors to see if they heard or saw anything?

6. newbiecaroline

newbiecaroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2008
    Alberta
    I bought a solar powered light for under $20 at Wal Mart...it actually works good.... it is motion detected....may be enough of a surprise if it was a person doing this?
    Would work great for a run that's so far from the house...it has two bulbs. Takes batteries.

7. basicliving

basicliving Keepin' the sunny side up

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    I am so sorry! That is just awful - I have a hard time imagining that someone would do that to you. I'm not sure what you can do if your husband is the major and can't even influence the police to take it seriously.

It does seem that whoever is stealing your chickens would live close enough to know you have them. Have you canvassed the area to see if you can locate your chickens in someone's yard?

Again, I am so sorry. I would be VERY ANGRY [​IMG]

[​IMG] to you. I hope you find out who took them.

Penny

ETA: I just read the above post about the motion detector lights, and that's a good idea. It reminded me that we bought 2 motion detectors that emit a loud squeal when something crosses their paths to guard against bears in our apiary. They work great and would surely scare the bejesus out of anyone that set them off - and alert you at the same time.

Last edited: May 23, 2008
  8. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Stevida, I had fears of kids messing with ours for fun, since there are so many teenagers wandering around our area. So I made DH put a hasp on ours that we can put a lock on!

Our tractor & swingset coop both have locks on the egg doors as well as the entrance. Someone really determined could get in, but no one has tried.

It's sad that I had such mistrust from the very beginning. But I also lock my cats up the week before Halloween until well after Halloween, and stuff like that. I just don't trust anybody any more.

I'm so sorry for your loss. [​IMG]
    Buy some locks and try again. Your Polish needs some buddies!
    Also, if your theft happened at night, get some of those motion sensitive lights and point them at the tractor. Maybe that will help discourage trouble-makers!

9. Stevida

Stevida Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2008
    West Grove PA
    Thank you all! I'm so torn about trying again. But I can't leave "Minnie, my Polish out there alone.

I think I will have to get locks on the door and the nest door. Such a shame to have to do that. You would think your own backyard is safe.

I love the idea of the solar motion detector - anyone know where to get that? Since the coop moves around during the summer that would be the best thing.

BTW - I have a doberman, she was sound asleep - it was the littlest one that did hear something my rat terrier - I just didn't pay close enough attention and wake up. I will never doubt her again!

10. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    That is horrible! Didn't they used to hang chicken thieves?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by