My babies are hatching pics as they arrive!

Glad you got it all sorted out. They are smart little creatures, aren't they? Even brand new mommas are just born with that instinct. So glad you got some cute babies.
Just amazing - I'm seriously gobsmacked at how funny and clever chickens are (I had no idea - I grew up on a farm and my job was to feed the scraps to the chickens- all I did was open gate, throw scraps, close gate - maybe I was scared!)! She has been a mama before (according to the last owner) and she obviously knows much more than me!
And fyi...on the float test.... I hate it. Lol
Oh thank goodness - I thought I was being dim :confused::oops::lau I seemed to have 3 with one result - one wiht another (which then changed :lau) yet they were all the same - non-fertile!

The test cannot confirm if one is dead. Glad this didn't happen to you!
Same - that was my biggest worry - was so happy to see / smell old egg yolk :lau:lau

And I finally managed to get some photos once mum relaxed after the eggs were gone :jumpy:ya
fa78ccc30ab39b72aded6bc8dea51fa2.jpg

a97699a9c52fb1d0d303a31f8ebfcb36.jpg

I've spoken to the lady I go the eggs from and she said the grey is a araucana as well. So just the yellow one I'm waiting on a breed for (hoping she'll tell me if it is a Bresse or something else).

that chick isn't araucana. maybe EE
Do you mean the grey one? It came out of a blue araucana egg. She has all her birds in separate runs so should be right. :confused:I believe she has quite a few tuft less ones and I think from what I have read the US and European / uk / Australia are all quite different when it comes to these guys! I'm guessing they are not 'show quality' but should do the job of giving me blue eggs which is what I'm after!

Do you mean the grey one? It came out of a blue araucana egg. She has all her birds in separate runs so should be right. :confused:I believe she has quite a few tuft less ones and I think from what I have read the US and European / uk / Australia are all quite different when it comes to these guys! I'm guessing they are not 'show quality' but should do the job of giving me blue eggs which is what I'm after!

You are right. Each country has an organization that determines the SOP for that country. The Brits Auracana can have tails, can be different colors/patterns than the US version, and I'm sure have several other differences. Australia adopted the UK SOP for Araucana. I have no idea what the French have adopted for their Auracana. I seriously doubt they even have an Ameraucana SOP.

Breeds are not natural, they re man-made. Someone, either an individual or a group, determines the proposed SOP and work to create it and get it accepted by their country's organization that recognized breeds. Last I heard people trying to get the Creme Legbar accepted as a breed in the US were discussing egg color. Should they allow only blue eggs or would green be allowed? I know a lady that is part of a group trying to get a new color/pattern of Ameraucana recognized in the US. It is a long process.

When you cross international boundaries you have to be careful when discussing breed. Breeds can be even more different than the language or accent.

oh... i see! for me as long as they lay blue eggs their good! SO CUTE!

Back
Top Bottom