My babies have left the Brooder....

lisa7780

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 4, 2014
My chicks are about 5 weeks and we decided tonight was the night to put them in their coop. I am sure I will be checking them often throughout the night!
1f424.png
1f425.png
1f413.png
1f414.png

It's always a bit nerve racking there first few nights out. I always put a heat lamp out in the corner just incase they get to cold, but I doubt they need it. What are your night time temps at?

This week the lowest night temp is 45 and we have a heat lamp in there just in case they need some warmth and for a little security to make the coop feel cozy.

My question is..I plan on keeping them locked in the coop til the weekend but after they are free to come and go into their run, do I lock them up every night or do they get free choice to go outside?

Mine get free choice to go out. But that's only if my run is secure, neting over the top included. I also bury the fencing 10 inches to a foot to keep things from going under. One or two nights locked in the coop will show them where they need to roost then and they will go in there by them selfs at night. I would not worry about it after that unless you get temps below 25°

This week the lowest night temp is 45 and we have a heat lamp in there just in case they need some warmth and for a little security to make the coop feel cozy.

My question is..I plan on keeping them locked in the coop til the weekend but after they are free to come and go into their run, do I lock them up every night or do they get free choice to go outside?

That's really a matter of personal choice. Are you confident in the security of your run? The locking up at night is really just an added layer of security as the presumption is that the coop is more difficult for a predator to enter than the run (depending on the construction of your coop, of course).

The girls survived!!! They actually looked happy when I refilled the food and water this morning.

Question on cleaning the coop. I put a layer of pdz down on the coop floor and the straw in the nesting boxes. I plan to sift through the pdz but do I change out the straw daily?

Thanks for the responses on my locking them in question! My run is secure with wire on top and buried in the ground. I will have to keep a close eye once I start putting them in there run.

The girls survived!!! They actually looked happy when I refilled the food and water this morning.

Question on cleaning the coop. I put a layer of pdz down on the coop floor and the straw in the nesting boxes. I plan to sift through the pdz but do I change out the straw daily?

Thanks for the responses on my locking them in question! My run is secure with wire on top and buried in the ground. I will have to keep a close eye once I start putting them in there run.

At this point, most block access to the nesting boxes because if they associate that as a sleeping place instead of where they go to lay their eggs you will end up with boxes full of poop and that is not where you want your nice fresh eggs landing, kwim? Do you have roost bar(s) in your coop? That is where you want them to be sleeping right now - or on the floor of the coop.

Good to know. I do have roosting bars in my coop. I will block off the nesting boxes. About how long do I keep them blocked off? A few days or weeks?

Should the pdz be a thin or thick layer on the coop floor? I wasn't sure since it was so dusty when I was spreading it last night, I didn't want to get carried away.
263a.png

Back
Top Bottom