My babies laid their first egg!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by leanntorina, Jul 30, 2016.

1. leanntorina

leanntorina Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2015
    Southeast Texas
    I went to put up our babies in their house, and I noticed an egg. But it was only one and had been there alone for a while, so I know the females aren't laying on it. Any advice for a mom who's feather babies are just now layin for the first time?

2. BackyardFlock17

BackyardFlock17 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2016
    Put golfballs or ceramic eggs in the nests so the hens will lay there.

3. Ren2014

Ren2014 Blessed Beyond Hope Premium Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    Congrats on your first egg. They are always so exciting to find. Do you have a drake? Are you wanting them to go broody and raise babies? Do you have nest boxes for them? Sorry for all of the questions but just trying to get an idea of what advice to give[​IMG]

Definitely make sure they have free choice crushed Oyster Shell for Calcium.

4. nannychachi

nannychachi Just Hatched

Jul 1, 2016
    WV
    Congratulations, Grandma. ; )

5. Congrats!

6. leanntorina

leanntorina Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2015
    Southeast Texas
    UPDATE!!! Thank you to all! As of this morning we have 8 eggs, all from the same hen. We have 1 male and 2 female Buffs and 1 male and 2 female mallards. One of the buffs is the one laying. I'm pretty sure the other female is getting ready to lay also. One of the girl mallards has a nest she's been working on for a few days but no eggs yet. I have candled the eggs and so far every one has been fertilized!!! We're so excited for babies!!!!! :celebrate:ya

7. AnjKar n Ducks

AnjKar n Ducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Congrats :celebrate

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  8. :congrats

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by