My babies laid their first egg!

leanntorina

In the Brooder
Jun 20, 2015
Southeast Texas
I went to put up our babies in their house, and I noticed an egg. But it was only one and had been there alone for a while, so I know the females aren't laying on it. Any advice for a mom who's feather babies are just now layin for the first time?

Congrats on your first egg. They are always so exciting to find. Do you have a drake? Are you wanting them to go broody and raise babies? Do you have nest boxes for them? Sorry for all of the questions but just trying to get an idea of what advice to give
big_smile.png

Definitely make sure they have free choice crushed Oyster Shell for Calcium.

UPDATE!!! Thank you to all! As of this morning we have 8 eggs, all from the same hen. We have 1 male and 2 female Buffs and 1 male and 2 female mallards. One of the buffs is the one laying. I'm pretty sure the other female is getting ready to lay also. One of the girl mallards has a nest she's been working on for a few days but no eggs yet. I have candled the eggs and so far every one has been fertilized!!! We're so excited for babies!!!!! :celebrate:ya

UPDATE!!! Thank you to all! As of this morning we have 8 eggs, all from the same hen. We have 1 male and 2 female Buffs and 1 male and 2 female mallards. One of the buffs is the one laying. I'm pretty sure the other female is getting ready to lay also. One of the girl mallards has a nest she's been working on for a few days but no eggs yet. I have candled the eggs and so far every one has been fertilized!!! We're so excited for babies!!!!! :celebrate:ya

Congrats :celebrate

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom