Premature hatched duckling with yolk sac

DD34B20B-1901-43A5-B1AA-96DEDAF0D684.png
Little one is doing well this morning, it’s accepted water. Hasn’t eaten yet other then some sugar water, it’s still a little uneasy on it’s feet but its eyes seem to stick. I haven’t even seen it attempt to blink, I try to make sure they are clean and wash it’s face

View attachment 3705178Little one is doing well this morning, it’s accepted water. Hasn’t eaten yet other then some sugar water, it’s still a little uneasy on it’s feet but its eyes seem to stick. I haven’t even seen it attempt to blink, I try to make sure they are clean and wash it’s face
Awwww, it's beautiful! Keep the little one warm and tell it how much you love it. I would put some finely diced lettuce in its water to encourage it to swallow solid stuff, then maybe mix some feed with some water until it is a very wet, soupy consistency and see if it is interested in eating a little bit of that. Good luck! You are doing a great job! :hugs

Awwww, it's beautiful! Keep the little one warm and tell it how much you love it. I would put some finely diced lettuce in its water to encourage it to swallow solid stuff, then maybe mix some feed with some water until it is a very wet, soupy consistency and see if it is interested in eating a little bit of that. Good luck! You are doing a great job! :hugs
Thank you, I’m a first time duck grandma lol. Out of the 9 eggs she currently only has 2 living babies, I’m wondering if some of the issues the babies who died was caused by when mom got separated from the clutch and they got cold. I had been so worried because they were still developing and I did a two day check to see if there was any movement, the first day after was hardly any movement but the day after that they were moving like normal. So I’m curious if that effected the babies. If we lost this little one then she’ll be left with only fluffers, I still find it strange that she wants nothing to do with the new little one. Could it also be due to that fluffers is 8 days older than the new baby?

Thank you, I’m a first time duck grandma lol. Out of the 9 eggs she currently only has 2 living babies, I’m wondering if some of the issues the babies who died was caused by when mom got separated from the clutch and they got cold. I had been so worried because they were still developing and I did a two day check to see if there was any movement, the first day after was hardly any movement but the day after that they were moving like normal. So I’m curious if that effected the babies. If we lost this little one then she’ll be left with only fluffers, I still find it strange that she wants nothing to do with the new little one. Could it also be due to that fluffers is 8 days older than the new baby?
I'm pretty new to raising ducks, too...my babies are 3.5 weeks old. :) So I'm sure others will have better information for you, but when I was incubating my little Pekin egg, I did read that eggs that go cold for up to a couple days can still hatch if you get them back under heat, but it does decrease the percentage of eggs that will hatch.

I also have recently read (I think in "Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks" by Dave Holderread) that duck hens will accept and mother babies born within a couple days of each other. Any later than that, though, they will likely refuse to mother them. Perhaps it has to do with keeping the earlier born babies safe...if a brand new tiny baby is born and she accepts it into the brood, it could slow them all down and they could be more at risk of being eaten by predators.

I'm pretty new to raising ducks, too...my babies are 3.5 weeks old. :) So I'm sure others will have better information for you, but when I was incubating my little Pekin egg, I did read that eggs that go cold for up to a couple days can still hatch if you get them back under heat, but it does decrease the percentage of eggs that will hatch.

I also have recently read (I think in "Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks" by Dave Holderread) that duck hens will accept and mother babies born within a couple days of each other. Any later than that, though, they will likely refuse to mother them. Perhaps it has to do with keeping the earlier born babies safe...if a brand new tiny baby is born and she accepts it into the brood, it could slow them all down and they could be more at risk of being eaten by predators.
Thanks, been ultra busy with work today. I had to bribe my old dog with love n treats to get her to help me. I’ve learned the new little one is a girl and I’ve named her Kiko, she’s highly demanding of attention and love and doesn’t like it when I turn my attention away from her to tend to customers. So I’ve bribed my chihuahua/duch hound mix to help me with Kiko. For that I present the cutest pictures I was able to get!
C24220B0-3A7D-4D4A-8C4E-A4766E68A6B4.jpeg

Attachments

• E40DB37A-514B-47B3-A087-4CC7A256524C.jpeg
    E40DB37A-514B-47B3-A087-4CC7A256524C.jpeg
    734.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 253CA095-3389-47BF-8204-16F5C1E5C22C.jpeg
    253CA095-3389-47BF-8204-16F5C1E5C22C.jpeg
    359.7 KB · Views: 5
126C4DCC-254F-4E22-B5F6-A2F4FBF0B1E7.jpeg
Todays dose of happiness, I caught fluffers and Kiko doing a little sister bonding, though there is also some sister fighting with fluffers biting at Kiko’s poor feet or tripping her when she’s eating. I did put mom (squeakers) back out in the coop so I can get ready to bring in little and her egg for that baby chick to be born.

Attachments

• 753E369B-90FB-46A7-89DB-C527E80B7B34.jpeg
    753E369B-90FB-46A7-89DB-C527E80B7B34.jpeg
    509.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 12A4D2C1-F203-4DB1-8A56-9DB0FC6D0221.jpeg
    12A4D2C1-F203-4DB1-8A56-9DB0FC6D0221.jpeg
    575.3 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom