Premature hatched duckling with yolk sac

Hykiko

Chirping
Jun 8, 2022
9115623E-D232-4ADD-A645-26AA99698CB6.jpeg
Hello, my female khaki decided to have babies in the middle of winter. She barely became an adult in Sep. she had 9 eggs 2 hatched on the 6th sadly between the cold and their father they died, a third egg hatched later that day and that baby is fine and thriving at 5 days old now. She had 2 eggs die (I’m thinking got to hot since I brought them inside) this little one however hatched today, I’m thinking it’s premature as it still has the yolk sac. I’ve got a baby wipe around the sac to keep it moist and clean, baby is currently using my chest as a happy heating pad. It’s been peeping, kicking and moving on me, but I’m still worried we might lose this little one. Does anyone else have any helpful insight.

I’ve done sugar water as well, it kicked the last of the shell off after drinking the sugar water.

This is a first for me in hatching, mom has done a wonderful job of incubating and tending to the one hatched baby already.

(Also due to have a baby chick born some time around the 21st)

Just remember, just because they want to have babies doesn’t mean they have to. It’s way easier if you make them wait until warm weather. It looks like she did a pretty good job given that it’s her first time and it’s winter. Congrats on the babies.

ThWJust remember, just because they want to have babies doesn’t mean they have to. It’s way easier if you make them wait until warm weather. It looks like she did a pretty good job given that it’s her first time and it’s winter. Congrats on the babies.
Yeah we weren’t expecting babies till spring both mama duck and one of my chickens desperately wanted to be moms.

I’m happy that she’s doing such a good job tho.

Back
Top Bottom