Pike laid eggs!!

quackkquack_

Songster
Jun 30, 2022
So my call girl, Pike
Weverse_e958b.jpeg

Laid 9 eggs!!
She had been acting differently, she was usually separated from the flock, scavenging on her own, laying on her own, etc. although the others still provided her company every now and then, she just seemed like she wanted to be alone.
I went down there today and I saw an egg laid out of their box!! I was really shocked as I didn't think they'd be laying til Spring (they are 26 weeks old) so I decided to check the rest of the box and..
1702222901313.png

She laid eggs!! There are 8 there and the other one I found would be the 9th
1702222939582.png
1702222950375.png

I was panicking at first since all my ducks are related but I candled them and none of them are developing, I just felt bad taking her eggs because she kept staring at me lol
I just didn't think they'd be laying this early? I know they start laying after around 20 weeks old but Newt didn't start laying until Spring and she was 43 weeks old then.
I guess little Pike is just laying early! I do plan to buy some call eggs next spring/summer and let the girls hatch them.

Another question of mine is how do I rehome my boys without the fear of them being eaten? My dad knows two or three people who have a farm and have ducks and would probably take them in but I'm little afraid. I really want to keep Tokki since hes beautiful but I didn't plan on having a flock with boys, just ended up with them. And I'm afraid Buzzard will get eaten since hes quite aggressive every now and then, Tokki has started to become aggressive too but its not that bad.
Plus another thing is I'm afraid of Pike and Fawn accidentally hatching their own eggs and I end up with a deformed baby (as my entire flock is related, Buzzard being the father and Tokki being Pike and Fawn's brother).. I don't think I'd be able to take care of a deformed baby the way it needs to be taken care of so I want to limit the possibilities of that happening.

Back
Top Bottom