My babies r loving the coop & run!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by earnhardtlvr, Jun 1, 2011.

1. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    Wooohooo! [​IMG] My 28 peeps went out to the coop and enclosed run on Sunday for the first time! [​IMG] They have adapted really well and r loving it!!! [​IMG] OMG they r so happy and I get such pretty coo's [​IMG] from them when I go out to play with them! [​IMG] They r exploring their new world and I think they like it! [​IMG] I was a bad chicken momma and couldn't lock them in the coop for the first couple days [​IMG] ...I was too excited for them to explore the nice big run we had for them. [​IMG] Hence, "chicken wrangling" [​IMG] [​IMG] has become the new sport at night to get them to go to bed. [​IMG] The first & second night was the worse. [​IMG] Once they got in the coop tho they settled down and went right to sleep. [​IMG] Tonight they kinda got the idea...when Mom & Dad come out around dusk it's time for bed. One by one they starting filing in the coop! [​IMG] We were such proud parents that our babies had figured out the way things roll around here in just 4 days! [​IMG] We only had to assist 4-5 chickies up the ramp tonight! [​IMG] Sorry no pics yet...but I promise to show off my girlies and all the really hard work my DH did to give the chickies a very safe, protected, & comfortable environment! [​IMG]

2. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    Congratulations!!! What a great feeling it is to have a successful transition. Did you hatch these babies? or have them delivered by the chicken stork?

Great job Mom & Dad! I can't wait for pics![​IMG]

3. chicktwins

chicktwins Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Excited [​IMG] for you!!! Sounds like a great time. I cannot wait until we get the chicks we ordered. 26 coming in 3 weeks!![​IMG]

I have a question for you. I am pretty new and have been trying to figure out what DH means for weeks. Enlighten me PLEASE!![​IMG]

4. SunnyCalifornia

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    DH = Dear/Darling Husband most of the time.... Sometimes the D changes depending upon the circumstance [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  5. earnhardtlvr

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    Quote:We haven't got the nerves up to hatch yet. We r newbies to chickens. Week 1 I bought 5 from a local feed store. Week 2 I received an assortment of 15 from MPC. Week 3 I bought 7 more from another local feed store. Week 4 I bought 4 from a local breeder. All of my babies were 1-2 days old when I got them. One died overnight and one died last week and one had to be re-homed becuz of bad behavior. Every1 else is doing so great! I am soooooooooooooooooo happy! I can't wait to play with them and take pics and get them more socialized! Thanks for ur interest! That's what's so great about this site! EVery1 is so nice and we all r wanting to share our stories and every1 likes reading and socializing about our experiences with chickens! LOL

6. earnhardtlvr

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    Quote:Sunny summed it up...Dear/Devoted/Darling/D... use ur imagination! [​IMG]

7. SunnyCalifornia

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    Quote:We haven't got the nerves up to hatch yet. We r newbies to chickens. Week 1 I bought 5 from a local feed store. Week 2 I received an assortment of 15 from MPC. Week 3 I bought 7 more from another local feed store. Week 4 I bought 4 from a local breeder. All of my babies were 1-2 days old when I got them. One died overnight and one died last week and one had to be re-homed becuz of bad behavior. Every1 else is doing so great! I am soooooooooooooooooo happy! I can't wait to play with them and take pics and get them more socialized! Thanks for ur interest! That's what's so great about this site! EVery1 is so nice and we all r wanting to share our stories and every1 likes reading and socializing about our experiences with chickens! LOL

I had my VERY first "offspring" hatch last Thursday. I've gotten all my layer hens from the feedstore, but then my kids got into 4H, and had to have banties for "show" so I got a pair, that turned out to be two roosters, so naturally, I had to find two hens to go with them....right? Two kids, two pairs? [​IMG] It sounded mathematically sound, so I researched a breeder in my state, and got two hens. Now my real "pairs" are mature, and laying fertile eggs!! I had a friend incubate 5 for me, on a whim, not believing that I actually have "fertile eggs" and 1 hatched!! .. Here he/she is, I'm crossing every limb in my body that its a girl, because I REALLY want to keep it. I have 5 roosters already, and can't house anymore. No safe place to put it, and I'm NOT building anymore coops! I have 3 already... a banty coop, a grow out coop, and a large fowl (big girl) coop.

[​IMG]

8. mimischickies

mimischickies Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2011
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    I know how excited you must be!!! I am brand new to chicks too! I only have 5. You really started off with a bang!!!!HA! Mine are 4 1/2 and 6 weeks, and put themselves to roast last night for the first time!!! I was soooooo proud!!! I hope you are having as much fun with your chicks as I am having with mine. Good luck!

9. earnhardtlvr

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    Oh SHE is gorgeous!!!! I'm just saying she to send good vibes ur way! Congrats!!

10. SunnyCalifornia

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    Quote:Thank you!!! I'm hoping so much its a "she". How can you NOT want to keep your first baby!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by